Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certificate of Compliance for a car

Default Certificate of Compliance for a car

Is it possible to get a car's certificate of compliance sorted out BEFORE it is shipped to Auckland? I have the numbers of the NZTA agents there but rather than wait for it to arrive and go through the worry of whether it will be ok I would like to have it checked within the UK.

This something we have to do still and we contacted the NZ AA. A very helpful chap Wally Gee came back and said that if we could send a number that was on the car then he could check for us. We found it on the door edge, it is the Ec model number for the car.

I can't find the email just now but will try and check later, but I am sure that OH just sent off to the info email at the NZ AA.

I think I've decided not to take the car, even though I'll lose a lot of money by selling it here. Partly as I'd need to get one for the 6 weeks whilst it's shipping anyway, and partly because servicing over there is going to be a hideous pain (it's a Saab). I was torn as the dealer over there is selling an older one with more miles/km on it for double what it would cost here, but compared to Subarus or Hondas then they are way overpriced.

Also, I never found anywhere which explains what actually needs doing to make the car NZ agreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    This something we have to do still and we contacted the NZ AA. A very helpful chap Wally Gee came back and said that if we could send a number that was on the car then he could check for us. We found it on the door edge, it is the Ec model number for the car.

I can't find the email just now but will try and check later, but I am sure that OH just sent off to the info email at the NZ AA.
    We did exactly the same with the same guy. We took photos of the door plate and emailed it to him. We also got a certificate from our dealer/maufacturer to say what standards the car reached as it was less than 2 years old.

Ours sailed through its compliance testing and didn't cost us any more than the cost of the actual process/paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by marybelle View Post
    We did exactly the same with the same guy. We took photos of the door plate and emailed it to him. We also got a certificate from our dealer/maufacturer to say what standards the car reached as it was less than 2 years old.

Ours sailed through its compliance testing and didn't cost us any more than the cost of the actual process/paperwork.
    Hi Marybelle

Was the car still inspected in New Zealand? Or does this emailing of door plate photos, manufacturer certificate etc take the place of the inspection?
    We are bringing 4 cars across so any info to keep the costs down would be really appreciated.
    Also, do you still have the contact details for Wally Gee by any chance? Following Mamee's post we looked up the phone number for the NZAA & are just about to skype them but the number is a general enquiries one - can you recall if this is the one you used? I don't relish being stuck in a 'number press' chain before I actually get to speak to a living human....
    Any comments really appreciated.

Hi three to go

The car was still inspected in NZ. It was done by a company at the airport so we didn't have additional transport costs. The AA will inspect it for you but they are in North Shore and so you would have to get it to them on a low loader which can work out expensive.

The reason for the manufacturers cert and the door plate ID is to make sure that the car won't need any mechanical or safety feature work/upgrading done as this would work out very expensive indeed or could render the car unsuitable for NZ roads.

I will try and fiind the email addy for Wally Gee. I think we still have it somewhere.

Marybelle

Three to go

Just found his email it is WGee@aa.co.nz

I knew I had mentioned him some months ago so just did a quick search on here.

Hope this is a help, anymore you want to know just ask.

I don't come on here that much anymore so if I don't reply just send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Marybelle

Brilliant!

Thanks so much Marybelle.

Sorry TTG that I didn't get back last night but glad that Marybelle was able to help you out. Good Luck.

Might try emailing Wally about hubby's motorbike too then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast