Thread: Thai Food in Christchurch

Default Thai Food in Christchurch

The curry thread got me thinking, maybe I should make a best Thai thread

My vote goes to Sema's Thai of Edgeware Village (74 Edgeware Road, Richmond 8014). Bookings essential as it's always packed!

Nah you need to move to Rangoon and try "Native Thai" on High Street

I went to one in Show Week when I was down - same road as Two Fat Indians (city not Merrivale) but very much down the seedy end of that road!

It was actually not bad - although I find the Thai food here dumbed down in heat.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    The curry thread got me thinking, maybe I should make a best Thai thread

My vote goes to Sema's Thai of Edgeware Village (74 Edgeware Road, Richmond 8014). Bookings essential as it's always packed!
    Fabulous

Not in ChCh but up in Kapiti we have a great one called Thai Lagoon, used to be Hannalore and more recently Ginger Peach on corner of Alexander Road and Kowhai Grove.

Best Thai food I've eaten

IMO most Thai restaurants taste the same. Likewise with east indian and japanese cuisine. There's a certain level where it's all pretty much the same and the difference between "quite good" vs. "blown away spectacular" is not common here in Christchurch.

Anotherwords, what i've found between a restaurant that has set menu (say Japanese) $20 vs $60 at another restaurant isn't a whole world of difference. You still get the sushi, miso soup, etc but not 3 times the quality and 3 times the bang!

BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    IMO most Thai restaurants taste the same. Likewise with east indian and japanese cuisine. There's a certain level where it's all pretty much the same and the difference between "quite good" vs. "blown away spectacular" is not common here in Christchurch.
    I would consider Copper Chime (that Indian restaurant) to be "blown away spectacular". Haven't had one of that level for Thai food however, but Sema's Thai (my recommendation) is the best I've had, probably in the "quite good" category. Would love to try out some of the other recommendations here if I get the chance to

We went to 'Merry Thai' in Papanui Road the other night. Friendly service but the food was very average.