Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when to ask for feed back from job application?

Default when to ask for feed back from job application?

I applied for this job two weeks ago, still haven't heard anything back (except from one email saying they got my application). Assuming I am not successful (which is very likely), I really would like some feed back from the organisation so I can learn from my mistakes. Anybody know how long I should wait before I contact them again?

thanks
    -Una

I typically give them about two weeks before I request feedback. For the most part, they have ignored my email request for feedback.

Not getting a reply is bad manners. Folk take the time to apply for their advertised position, the least they could do is reply.
    I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of saying, "sorry you didn't get the position". But as has been said, they probably won't anyway.

And yet... there have been a few people from this forum who have tried again to get in touch with NZ employers after a lapse of time with no reaction, typically wondering whether their application or enquiry had been received, and the employer has simply been busy or preoccupied and not got round to dealing with the vacancy. At least one person is currently packing up in England to take up a resulting job offer. Maybe it would be worth a phone call to ask if your application arrived (to give a chance for actual contact) before you assume you're unsuccessful?

Very true J&M. Nobody seems to be in a rush here. I am always amazed at how surprised Kiwi's are when you inform them that you have been waiting patiently for a response!!

phone em up i say nothing to lose..

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    And yet... there have been a few people from this forum who have tried again to get in touch with NZ employers after a lapse of time with no reaction, typically wondering whether their application or enquiry had been received, and the employer has simply been busy or preoccupied and not got round to dealing with the vacancy. At least one person is currently packing up in England to take up a resulting job offer.
    Seconded (unless you were talking about me). First interview in March, no feedback at all for 3 weeks, so I emailed, got no response. Finally called HR and got through after 5 weeks to be told 'We liked you, and we'll get back in touch, but it may be a while'. Called them in early November after hearing nothing, and my written contract offer arrived by courier yesterday.

It's not what I am used to in the UK, but then this is NZ where even receiving a latte takes 45 minutes on average, so it's jsut part of the adjustment.

tbh, my hiring process was a bit haphazard and fraught. i spose if you dont ask, youll never know, i dont reckon anyone would biff you for being eager.

Were your ears burning, Duncan? You're one of the people I was thinking of.

Thanks folks! Going to be brave and email them today.

This was my first "real" job application (I am an academic, thus far just been hired by asking people I want to work with if they have a position available), quite nervous about it. That is also why I really would like some feed back in case I made some obvious mistakes.

will see, fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast