Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I transfer $ to a UK bank for xmas presents?

Default Can I transfer $ to a UK bank for xmas presents?

Is it possible to do an electronic transfer to send some $ to my relations?

How?

Their bank account nos don't fit in my NZ bank fast cheque box; am I begin very dim?!

You can but I imagine there will be a charge & you would most likely have to do it over the counter, easier to keep the UK account & send cash that way

Yep!... if you have on-line banking, you can do an international transfer and you decide which side pays the charges (there are always some). We bank with ASB and it's a doddle. ASB "find" the UK bank via the Sort-Code and then by address of the bank and then by the account name and number of the person(s). Normally takes (with ASB) 3 -5 banking days for the dosh to arrive

Just to add a bit to this, as the option for international transfers isn't obvious (to me at least).

Under Accounts on the left hand side, don't select transfers, but select Foreign Exchange instead. Once selected the page will change to show the various options, one of which is "International Transfers", then follow the details posted by Grasshopper....

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Yep!... if you have on-line banking, you can do an international transfer and you decide which side pays the charges (there are always some). We bank with ASB and it's a doddle. ASB "find" the UK bank via the Sort-Code and then by address of the bank and then by the account name and number of the person(s). Normally takes (with ASB) 3 -5 banking days for the dosh to arrive

Online banking with Kiwi bank allows you to send money abroad too. Costs depend on which type of transfer you choose. THere are different ones such as telegraphic transfer and direct credits. Haven't figured out what the difference is, got a PhD in Civil Engineering not in banking wizardry Anyway it costs about $20 each time and there is a thingymajig which tells you which you have to choose. It's not too difficult really

I couldn't figure it out so went to the post office and bought a VISA gift-card and mailed that instead. It cost $5 for the card and $1.50 to mail it which was alot less than the money order or international transfer fees.

Kerri

Just to add a bit to this, as the option for international transfers isn't obvious (to me at least).
    You're not alone. When I wanted to send money from my HSBC a/c in the UK to my d-i-l in NZ, I was so mixed up by the terminology online that I decided I'd rather go into my branch and have them do the necessary, even if I had to pay an extra fee, rather than not be sure if the transfer had happened. It was odd use of language, not plain if you're not a finance professional. Anyway, full marks to the local HSBC on this one. FANTASTIC service, and no charge - they took me into a back room with a computer, and their expert just sat by, explaining as necessary, while I did the online transaction.

I've used kiwibank online a couple of times, and the rate has always been better than xe. You just need the iban (which is on my UK nationwide bank statement so I imagine is on other banks statements too). It is straight forward. $20 fee.

If you can, transfer using paypal, the transfer is instant, and costs less than a bank transfer - I've done both, and will only transfer using paypal now.

Cath XX

I guess it depends on how much you are sending - with a fee of $20 I guess the back transfers are only good for larger sums. paypal have shocking rates and fees so it will only be any good for small transfers such as christmas presents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast