Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emmigration group... or not?

Default Emmigration group... or not?

We have recently had a meeting with the emigration group to discuss moving to NZ

Trouble is OH can't justify the cost for what is for all intents and purposes filling in a form for you based on information that we supply to them. Also all documents they request we have to supply.... so it seems like a huge unnecessary expense if we are prepared to do it ourselves.

Only strong point of consideration (and justification) is that OH will be applying for jobs on our recce trip. If he is successful at this stage, it could be easier to have somebody else handle our case as we will be onshore.

Lastly we were advised that if we tell a prospective employer that a professional company is handling our application it would give us more credibility (surely being in NZ job hunting gives us better credibility?)

The PR process for most people is a fairly straighforward, if involved, process.

As for the job hunting assistance, I'm not convinced based on any of the posts on here. Looking at it the otherway, with an employers hat on then I'd be more impressed by someone who is putting in the effort themselves and can persuade me directly they are the right person, as opposed to someone who's 'just' bunged an agent a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    The PR process for most people is a fairly straighforward, if involved, process.

As for the job hunting assistance, I'm not convinced based on any of the posts on here. Looking at it the otherway, with an employers hat on then I'd be more impressed by someone who is putting in the effort themselves and can persuade me directly they are the right person, as opposed to someone who's 'just' bunged an agent a few quid.
    Thanks for the quick reply -

MY OH thoughts exactly!

We saw the Emigration group and decided that we would use them purely for checking, partly as there were health issues and partly for time pressure. If you are used to filling in forms, work slowly through it and ensure you have evidence from a third party then it is easy enough to do your own. You have to find all the information anyway and if you read the NZIS website you will see the order you should present it in.

Being in NZ I would agree should give you substantially more credibility with employers as you can see them face to face.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Ah, that's answered the question about visas that I just put on your other thread.

Trouble is OH can't justify the cost for what is for all intents and purposes filling in a form for you based on information that we supply to them. Also all documents they request we have to supply.... so it seems like a huge unnecessary expense if we are prepared to do it ourselves.
    That's exactly the story that emerges from most people on here who've used an agency (though, to be fair, there are a few who like to have someone tell them what to do at each stage).

One thing - if you're hoping to apply for PR from NZ, without going back to your home country, do make sure you've got all the necessary evidence with you before you leave. Many forumites have found themselves wishing they'd e.g. gone to a previous employer and stood over them while they wrote a letter stating how long they'd worked there and in exactly what role, instead of waiting weeks and nudging the person by email, only for a letter to arrive that missed out some vital piece of information.

the only person I know who used them is l00pback. i'd recommend firing a pm off to hear his story

I certainly didn't think it worth using an agency - the forms aren't that difficult to fill in, just time consuming. Certainly not worth the thousands of pounds that we were quoted!

There are times when going through an immigration agent is useful especially when you have a complicated application, need documents translated etc, or even just peace of mind.

Also like to note that the Emigration Group have already got some of their advisers to be registered in NZ under the Immigration Advisers Authority so at least their advice should be professional.

Would advise anyone who is going to utilise an agent to confirm that they are registered with the IAA regardless of whether NZ (already a legal requirement) or abroad (legal requirement from May 2010).

Ian

If you're gathering opinions, I'd like to add mine in the "do it yourself" column
    From my own research and the stories on the forum, I just can't see the benefits. They don't have sway with Immigration and you end up doing almost all the same steps anyway.
    My two cents...

HI

If you can do yourself, i would too.

We paid the Emmigration Group a small fortune 8 years ago when we were going to emigrate to Australia. I then fell pregnant and we lost it all by not going. It was a decision i couldnt make, carry on the move with a newborn baby.

We kicked ourselves for years that we didnt follow it through and when the chance of coming out here happened, we took a chance and i did the paperwrork myself. It worked and we have no problems.

I made phonecalls to London with queries, but this was nothing in comparison to what we forked out to the Emmirgartion group.

Take a chance, it worked for us!

Good luck
    Sharon
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast