Thread: EOI - Recognised Work Experience

Default EOI - Recognised Work Experience

We have just completed our EOI and intend to submit soon, but I have a question about recognised work experience. I have detailed my current work experience (3 years as database administrator) for which I am claiming points as it relates to my recognised qualification (IT) and an absolute skills shortage area. However I also have 6 years experience prior to this which is closely associated (databases again) in which I learnt most of my skills. Should I add this and will it make much difference to my points (we have 125 so far without job offer)?

Hello Steven,

I don't know the if it will be "recognized" or not. I think if you are sure you can score 100 or above without the "6 years experience" then it won't harm your EOI if you add it.

How many points' difference does it make if you add it in (using the online tryout EOI)? Many people in the past have said that if qualifications or experience don't take you past a big points milestone (like 140, that will guarantee you're taken up), you do yourself a favour by leaving them out if you'll have any trouble providing evidence to support what you've claimed. On the other hand, if you can easily show where you worked and what you did, then it's fine to put them in.

Thanks All, by adding the extra work experience in it takes us to 145 points. Should we be selected what evidence would I have to provide to support the relevance of this work experience? - I should be able to get references from my previous employer. Also if the selection panel decide that the experience isn't relevant to my application do they just remove the claimed points (taking us back to 125) or would we get rejected. We would hate to go through the time and expense of applying again.

Sure you should add that work experience as well if you are convinced that this is related to your qualification and current work experience. Any work experience not related to qualification will be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenh View Post
    Thanks All, by adding the extra work experience in it takes us to 145 points. Should we be selected what evidence would I have to provide to support the relevance of this work experience? - I should be able to get references from my previous employer.
    You WILL get selected with 145. Other people will correct me if necessary on this (I'm going from reading other members' experience on old threads, which you can search as you want for inspiration) - I think you need your previous employer to state that you were employed there from (start date) to (finish date), working x hours a week, explaining in detail your responsibilities and the skills required (and get him to mention at this point all the areas involved in your qualification if you can), without which you couldn't have done the job. Have him refer to any training you did, whether external courses or on-the-job training within the organization.

Also if the selection panel decide that the experience isn't relevant to my application do they just remove the claimed points (taking us back to 125) or would we get rejected. We would hate to go through the time and expense of applying again.
    They would just remove the points, and from what you say, you would still be there with a good chance of selection anyway.