Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Much as I hate Tesco...

I hate to say it again- but this isn't the UK or the US or Europe and there is no TESCO/ Aldi/ whatever here.., and a lot has to do with the size of the market and the geographic position......- so why compare the whole time?
    I can't see the point in it, and certainly it would not make you any happier?!

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Even at todays weak exchange rate you can call that NZ$23 for 3 bottles or $7.66 per bottle and it isn't that difficult to buy wine in NZ for less than this on a day to day basis.

Ian
    What initially struck me as wrong was that NZ wine is being sold cheaper in Tesco than in NZ. I know you can buy wine here for less than $7.66, but in my experience there's not much choice, it's usually from Oz or SA, and it's not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by langers View Post
    Why does everyone hate Tesco?

To me they sell a lot of good produce and at a price that can't be beaten.
    Everyone's argument is usually along the lines that they're strangling the suppliers and putting local shops out of business but are Progressive/Foodstuffs here any different (except for the good produce and cheap price bit )
    You're right of course, I probably wouldn't hesitate to shop in Tesco (or Morrison's, Sainsbury's, Waitrose) right now, given the opportunity.

you can buy NZ wine On Special in shops here for less than $8 and thats all that is in tesco...a special! normally its far more!
    I really dont see what all the fuss is about. it almost seems like people are looking for faults.
    We all know NZ isn't perfect! i doubt that anywhere is.

Pac and save have a special on wine $6.Not bad either.

Sorry, people can have a pop at many things here, but the wine in my opinion is not one of them, the cheaper wine here is exceptional in my humble opinion and not like the cheap wine that is paint stripper in the UK and mostly gives a banging head.

The exchange rate is 2.3. So a comercial wine buyer will pay 2.3 times as much in $ as in sterling. Average wages, cost of living are irrelevant to that. Those things only become a factor at a consumer level, where you look at value.
    Secondly, as mentioned, Tescos was discounting those to entice people in and get them spending another £80 on the rest of their shopping. And coming back and paying £8 a bottle for the rest of the year when it's back to full price.
    Abolishing one tax means either cutting funding for schools/health, or it means increasing something else. You can't just cut taxes despite what a lot of UK parties claim by simply 'streamlining government'.
    I really don't get the comments about the poor wages in NZ relative to the UK (albeit I'm not there yet). It's not like it's a secret, and so surely people knew that is part of the trade they make when you go?
    And as for Tescos being eveil, well I'm mixed about that. I do think that they should use their dominant position to pay MORE to the producers, and not renegotate contracts after they've been signed to pay less or pay later (longer credit terms). And I feel that they do end up putting independants out of business, and these smaller retailers add more to communities in terms of supporting local schools, clubs, etc and being more in touch and responsive to the individual customers. However, with size comes choice and the low prices mean that more people can afford to buy better food. It's just that more people choose to spend less on the food and more on DVDs, booze and sweatshop import clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by langers View Post
    Why does everyone hate Tesco?

To me they sell a lot of good produce and at a price that can't be beaten.
    Everyone's argument is usually along the lines that they're strangling the suppliers and putting local shops out of business but are Progressive/Foodstuffs here any different (except for the good produce and cheap price bit )
    I agree and would welcome them, Sainsbury or M&S with open arms.

We hate food shopping here in supermarkets - it is SO dull. The lack of interesting worldwide foods and ingredients is frustrating if you are a cook.

We liven it up by heading to Moore Wilson or Kirkaldies in Wellington but the bill you get if you do that is truly frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I hate to say it again- but this isn't the UK or the US or Europe and there is no TESCO/ Aldi/ whatever here.., and a lot has to do with the size of the market and the geographic position......- so why compare the whole time?
    I can't see the point in it, and certainly it would not make you any happier?!
    There is Aldi in Oz though someone told me. Dunno if it's true.

There's Ikea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    you can buy NZ wine On Special in shops here for less than $8 and thats all that is in tesco...a special! normally its far more!
    I really dont see what all the fuss is about. it almost seems like people are looking for faults.
    We all know NZ isn't perfect! i doubt that anywhere is.
    I have to say that I only drink wine a few times a year and when I do, I am not at all sure that the wine that can be sold at $8 a bottle is likely to be my choice, unless it was a wine that ought to sell around $50/bottle, anyway.

I'd rather drink 6 ultra high quality bottles a year than 52 average ones, personally. Costs the same, but I enjoy it more!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast