Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog insurance recommendations?

Default Dog insurance recommendations?

Could anyone offer any advice regarding insurance companies for dogs? I could just look on the internet but it is good to hear which companies people use.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Could anyone offer any advice regarding insurance companies for dogs? I could just look on the internet but it is good to hear which companies people use.
    Thanks.
    There are only about 4 here.
    We're with Petplan, have just submitted our first claim so don't know how long they take to deal with them. We have a $100 excess.
    I was quite disappointed that because our dog has prior history on one knee, they've excluded both knees from any future claims. They've also excluded hips - they contacted our UK vet who did xray her at the time of her initial knee trouble, and whilst he did say she doesn't have perfect hips (what labrador does?) that it wasn't anything to be concerned about. Our UK insurer was quite happy to cover her hips. So you might want to ask your UK vet to burn your records before going for insurance here if you've got any 'prior'!
    Have a friend who uses Petnsure, seems quite happy with them. Needless to say I will be looking around myself at renewal time.

P.S. please feel free to PM me if you've any more doggy questions!
    Last edited by frootbat; 17th December 2009 at 11:00 AM.

Both mine (an Hungarian Viszla and a Fox Terrier) are insured with Ellenco www.pet-insurance.co.nz

They have been excellent - all our claims (which, to be fair, have been only routine things like neutering etc and odds and sods of vet costs so small amounts under $250) have been paid promptly and without quibble.

Thanks for this information - very useful, now just need to get the dogs and cat to New Zealand! We think we have found a rental place to start with which will take pets which is good news.

As with any insurance it may not be worth it to actually invest in the insurance and rather set aside the money you would pay to the insurance into a savings account for only animal medical expenses. I do understand that it is tough not to use that money for other things, which is why the insurance plans are better for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    As with any insurance it may not be worth it to actually invest in the insurance and rather set aside the money you would pay to the insurance into a savings account for only animal medical expenses. I do understand that it is tough not to use that money for other things, which is why the insurance plans are better for some people.
    You would never set aside enough.

Annual premiums are around $300.

My neighbour's Beagle just needed an op at Massey - $5500.

Average lifespan of a dog say 14 years @$300 = $4,200

And that is only a single event in the dog's 14 years. Also the dog is only 6 so you'd only have $1800 in the bank to date - and have to find the rest!
    Last edited by Kiwi Mac; 23rd December 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Well it IS a gamble. Take a look at the statistics of how many dogs need surgeries like that in their lives. Not many- which is why insurance companies make money.

Truth is most people will end up paying more for insurance than they get out of it, which is what pays for those few who actually end up getting benefit from insurance.

On the other hand- I'm not the person to talk to about what vet treatments realistically cost either- I don't think I've EVER paid full price for any treatment my pets have received (given I work in the industry) so when I think about the costs of owning an animal I never think about full prices. hrmmmm...
    Last edited by dilanium; 23rd December 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Personally I'd rather have the peace of mind. As Kiwi Mac says, setting the money aside each month might not get you to a point where you have enough money to cover the bills. We've had our dog for about 5 months (adult rescue Beagle) and she ran off the other day. As we were looking for her we spotted a coyote and visions were going through my head of what if she'd been got by the coyote? Those kind of vet bills would have been huge.

(Luckily she was fine and was reunited with us an hour or so later).

Our cats (now living with my mum) have been insured for 5.5 years and (touch wood) nothing has ever happened to them. But my friend had an 800 pound bill when their cat got run over and broke her leg. In five years I would have amassed 800 quid to pay for both cats using this logic if anything happened.

Like I said, it's my peace of mind I'm paying for.

If that's what makes you happy then go for it, just pointing out alternatives.

Our company also paid for the neutering surgery and a few minor exams and tablets etc have cropped up in 2.5 years so far.

I'm happy to pay - I pay car, house, health, contents, life insurances etc so pets are no different I guess.

I'll be thrilled if I see a coyote though....!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast