Thread: Duck and pre made pancakes

Default Duck and pre made pancakes

Does anyone know where I can buy a duck and also the Chinese pancakes for crispy duck. Thought it would make a nice change for xmas dinner.

But have not seen pre made pancakes in my local Chinese supermarkets.

Any butchers that sell whole ducks near Welly?

I made the pancakes before BUT they were fiddly and not as nice as the ones in the restaurant. I hate the crispy duck over here as it's large lumps and not very crispy either. Probably true Chinese style cos it looks like the one we had in Hong Kong.

Could get M&S delivery pack with sauce and everything, but would not last the journey

Don't know about Welly, but in Dunedin and even here in Blenheim you get (usually frozen, sometimes fresh) Cantervalley ducks in the supermarket- New World and Fresh Choice.
    In Dunedin I sometimes bought some at the Frozen Direct shop (not sure if that is a chain which is everywhere?) as well as in a Chinese shop.

I've seen ducks in countdown too. Is it terribly hard to make the pancakes yourself?

I use Mary Berry's Cookbook for Peking Duck and Pancakes.

The pancake recipe isn't too hard, just a bit messy They taste to use just like the Chinese ones which is cool !

You could try the Chinese supermarket in Welly, they should have them

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonthemove View Post
    Any butchers that sell whole ducks near Welly?
    I know that New World and Countdown near Welly both sell frozen ducks if thats any help?

Ian

I must be looking in the wrong freezer, as I have not seen it in either NW or Woolworth, will look harder.

Thanks for all your replies. I will see if Mary Berry's is online for pancake recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonthemove View Post
    I must be looking in the wrong freezer, as I have not seen it in either NW or Woolworth, will look harder.

Thanks for all your replies. I will see if Mary Berry's is online for pancake recipe.
    If you go to Woolworths online for Tawa, they show "canter valley duck whole frozen size 17 1.7kg $29.99 coming soon" so they may not have any in stock. Not sure which Woolworths is closest to you, so might be worth checking your nearest store.

Ian

Thats a really good idea.