Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super weird experience--advice?

Default Super weird experience--advice?

The strangest thing happened today about 2 pm. I am not sure what to make of it or what to do about it.
    I was getting a school uniform for my daughter while they are on sale. But I had to drive across town to get her size. I was going to a mall that I had never been before in a less than savory area.
    I did not know the layout of the mall and parking etc. I ended up driving completely around the mall several times trying to see if I could easily see the Postie + store and park on that end.
    A small car followed me AROUND the mall two times. I noticed because I was trying to pull over and look at my map (GPS has crashed!!) but the little car stayed right on me. I don't know where it started following me but it followed me around the mall 2 times. Weaving through the parking lot, it followed me up and down the aisles.
    I was getting a bit unnerved!
    I tried to take a very hard left (more like a U-turn) toward more parking and it followed me so closely that I was blocked. I sat there for several minutes trying to decide if I should get angry or afraid--as this car was being VERY WEIRD! I had to move forward an inch and back up an inch for several minutes (they were too close for me to back up at all really) to get turned. When I finally got free, the car followed.
    I finally found a parking spot near a bunch of people and pulled in.
    The car pulled up right behind me--blocking me into my space.

A very odd acting older man approached my car and stood there. I rolled my window down a bit and asked what he wanted (I was hitting myself for refusing to carry a cell phone for emergencies!! I guess the radiation is secondary at a time like this and I will be IMMEDIATELY getting one)

He said that he saw me run a red light and he was going to get my information.

This was a bit confusing to me as I thought there must have been some kind of light in the parking lot??? Maybe I was so focused on this weird guy following me that I ran it??? (After the fact, I drove through the entire parking lot and there are no lights!!)

I knew I had not run any red lights on the public roads (in fact, was trying to look at my map so would have been helpful) and so this "red light" issue seemed a ruse to me.

He started talking about my daughter and telling me that I was a bad mother for running a red light with "such a beautiful little girl" in the car. He kept talking about my daughter (who is 4)--even attempting to speak directly to her through the windows. He demanded that I give him "my information"--which is just weird. Sorry, I am not giving ANY info to ANY stranger--except in a wreck.

If he legitimately thought that I ran a red light and wanted to report me, he could have written my license number down and I would have never known he existed. Why follow me for 15 minutes? Why come and speak to me? Why focus so creepily on my 4 year old?

Obviously, I gave him no information but I immediately thought of him getting my home address with my license number.

This got me less scared and more angry and I jumped out of my car and told this weirdo that the only problem was that he was following me and tailgating me and being weird.
    I made a big show of getting paper out and writing down his license plate number and he took off at that point. I also wrote down the license numbers of the other cars in the area (with people as witnesses).
    I said "OMG what a weirdo" to the 2 girls who watched the whole thing and they both laughed.

I am TOTALLY CREEPED OUT!!

Am I over-reacting?

Do I need to make some kind of police report or will they think I am a crazy over-reacting american?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

A real nasty experience. It certainly doesn't sound too good and you are right to be suspicious. If you have the number of his car and/or the detail I would inform the police.

Report him to the police. If they ignore you at least you've done your bit. The guy is clearly strange. Who knows what harm he might do to the next person he stalks.

...and as far as I know he can't get your address from your rego. You certainly can't in the UK so I asume you can't here either. By the way if he does say to the police that you did run a red light, it's his word against yours, so just deny it if the police say anything (which they won't)

.....and good on you for doing the right thing and driving to a place where other people were and have the presence of mind to get his number.

Hope you are OK now
    Last edited by Wooly_Cow; 20th November 2009 at 04:06 PM.

I don't think your over reacting. Like the others said, Report him.

Creepy.

Thanks guys for reading through that LONG post. (sorry--didn't realize it was so long--just trying to get all the details in there)

I feel much better that it seemed weird to you guys too. Because it really unnerved me.

I will be contacting the police tonight with the story and his license info. just to cover all bases.

What an awful experience.

That sounds awful, poor you, what a weirdo, would be interesting what the police say, if he's known in the area. Annoying others didn't see what was going on & helped but glad your OK, a big glass of vino to settle the nerves but not something you will forget for a while I'm sure I know it would freek me out

Very weird......... You're doing the right thing by reporting him

Definitely doing the right thing in reporting him. I would have been totally creeped out as well

Report him. And to the mall security. It's not normal behaviour and the interest in your wee girl is worrying.

Sure sounds fishy. A cellphone is always a good idea to keep around you. Would this mall be in Christchurch city?

I don't think even the cops can approach you to get information that way.

I've always wondered if you can get detailed information from car registration plates. I've heard that you can with a small fee at the post office by requesting information relating to a car registration. I'm don't know how detailed the report would be though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast