Thread: 2 tow bar sizes, which one?

Default 2 tow bar sizes, which one?

Hello

I'm buying a new car In January and I'm organising a tow bar for the vehicle and the dealer has given me 2 different sizes to choose from 50mm and 1 7/8's inches. The 50mm is twice as expensive as the 1 7/8's. There does not seem to be much difference in the two sizes.

I now require it for a 4 bike rack and in the future we may get a boat.

Does anyone know anything about this and maybe give me some idea on which one to pick, or is the dealer mucking me round.

David

just go for the 1 7/8 inch ball, if just for a bike rack then it doesnt matter which size ball then later if you get a boat with a 50mm coupling then just go to repco or super cheap auto and buy a 50mm ball for about $20, you can then just unbolt the ball to suit whichever coupling you need, some couplings are adjustble to fit either 1 7/8 inch or 50mm balls

thats about 2mm difference, i think the guy might be messing with you.

There should be no cost difference and by far the majority of trailers are 1 7/8" so go for that.

Thank you all.

I talked with I guy who is a parent and my daughter school who has a boat and the consensus is 1 7/8's

Thanks

David

1 7/8" is the most common in NZ, 50mm is standard in Europe. There isn't much size difference between the two, but it can be unsafe to use the wrong one. The towbar cost should be the same either way though, the only difference is the actual towball, which as SteveR said cost $20 (or less, try SuperCheapAutos).

Sounds like the dealer is either very confused or ripping you off. Just get the cheaper 1 7/8" one and buy a 50mm ball if you need it (depends on what size your bike rack requires). They towball is easy to change, just needs a bit of elbow-grease and the right size spanner. If you buy a boat in future you can get the coupling on the trailer changed for a small cost if it's the wrong type for whatever towball you end up with.

Thanks very much.

I ended up getting the more expensive tow bar for $1,500 with both tow balls when I picked the car up on the 5th. And for that I don't need a spanner as the Landrover tow ball just has a small pin in the middle of the ball that you can push out with your fingers and change the ball.

David