Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaches in Napier

Default Beaches in Napier

Oh dear !!!!!
    We have been researching where to settle for quite some time, i have a teaching job to start in Waikapaurau in Feb and we finally decided to head for Napier when we come over as we loved the art deco, found some lovely properties especially in Bluff Hill and Hospital Hill as we wanted to be walking distance to the beach.
    However i have just read a thread about how dangerous the beaches are in Napier and that you wouldn't want to swim there !!!
    Help, any suggestions of anywhere nearby with lovely safe beaches ?
    Sarah

There is a small beach at the end of Bluff Hill, near the port.
    Sandy & safe to swim.
    Napier beach (along Marine Parade) does have life guards, but the designated area for swimming between the flags is only about 20mts.
    There is a huge drop-off just a few metres out to sea and the when the waves pick up, it can easily sweep you away, even off the beach.

We're not beach bums, but we have been exploring a few.
    The best beach we've found is at Waipatiki, about 15 mins drive north on SH2 out of Napier. Secluded & quiet even in holiday season.
    There is also Ocean Beach and Waimarama about 20 mins South. Very popular .

Nick.

Haumoana, West Shore, Waimarama, Ocean Beach are all close to or in Napier. There's also a lagoon at Ahuriri where we swam yesterday. Plus rivers and stuff. There are lots of nice spots. Are you thinking of commuting to Waipukarau? It's probably an hour and a half drive.

Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by kerrijeansmith View Post
    Are you thinking of commuting to Waipukarau? It's probably an hour and a half drive.

Kerri
    Multimap.com would suggest it's only 42 minutes from town centre to town centre. I've normally found their timings to be on the generous side, but as you live that way would you say the traffic can be hard going?

Haven't been that far down NZ yet, but it looks lovely

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    Multimap.com would suggest it's only 42 minutes from town centre to town centre. I've normally found their timings to be on the generous side, but as you live that way would you say the traffic can be hard going?
    Napier to Waipukurau is about 70K.
    I've never come across much traffic on that stretch of SH2 and easily do in 50 mins.

Nick.

Quite a few ppl commute from Waipuk to Napier/Hastings but you can not speed at all as there are always traffic cops. It's an easy drive though but more than 42 mins whatever multimap says! Have you ruled out Waipuk to live? There are a few nice places in CHB which would reduce your commute and massively reduce your living costs- Otane springs to mind. PM if you want any specific info- I'm quite familiar with parts of CHB.

The best beaches in Hawkes Bay actually aren't mentioned on this thread, partly because most people live Napier-Hastings and partly because most people don't know about them. Kairakau and Mangakuri spring to mind but there's also Blackhead, Aramoana, Porangahau and Pourerere. You can access the Te Angi Angi marine reserve from Blackhead and Aramoana- all those beaches blow the others away with the exception of Waipatiki north of Napier, although I don't think that's a safe swimming beach at all and wouldn't take kids to swim there.

Explore this link for the BEST beaches in Hawkes Bay (click the underlined words)- there's Te Angi Angi info on the site too http://www.chbdc.govt.nz/beaches/

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Quite a few ppl commute from Waipuk to Napier/Hastings but you can not speed at all as there are always traffic cops./[/URL]
    Yes you can.
    Easy average 120kph down that road.
    Spot the cops easily, they don't exactly hide.

Nick.
    Last edited by NikT; 27th December 2009 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    Yes you can.
    Easy average 120kph down that road.
    Spot the cops easily, they don't exactly hide.

Nick.
    Hay Nick,

I sincerely hope they catch you before you run into someone coming the other way!

I drive around comfortably in ether my big 4x4 or my big modern saloon, lots of air bags, take a look inside the 1980’s motors, not too safe and often you’ll see a 15-year-old kid driving it. That’s the kid your sort of behaviour is going to kill.

Grow up Nick and let them do the same. You ought to be ashamed of yourself, not just for doing this but for encouraging other to do it too.

Bob

My sentiment is if you can’t abide by the laws of the country then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    Hay Nick,

I sincerely hope they catch you before you run into someone coming the other way!

I drive around comfortably in ether my big 4x4 or my big modern saloon, lots of air bags, take a look inside the 1980’s motors, not too safe and often you’ll see a 15-year-old kid driving it. That’s the kid your sort of behaviour is going to kill.

Grow up Nick and let them do the same. You ought to be ashamed of yourself, not just for doing this but for encouraging other to do it too.

Bob

My sentiment is if you can’t abide by the laws of the country then get out!
    I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law.

That is why I started the poll about speed limits.
    On some roads I believe 100k is too slow.
    Drive out of Auckland south on SH1 and stick to 100k.
    See how many cars fly past.

Nick.

Ooops!

Sorry Sarah, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Any post about speed limits etc. could you please post em on my Speed Limit thread. Interested in all views.

Back to the beaches.......

Nick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast