Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat litter

Default Cat litter

Can anyone recommend a god brand of cat litter? Our cats litter tray definitely smells a lot more than it did in the UK. We normally use Home Brand Budget, which looks suspiciously identical to the 'Excellent' Brand we bought today for quite a bit more.

The only one I think is worth any money is the horizontal clumping one bought in a box- black, but can't remember anything else, sorry!

Have you tried a closed litter tray with charcoal filter?

The one from Bin Inn is good, it's made of sawdust pellets, so is compostable. Their crap still stinks though...

We have the same problem, and I think I have tried virtually every type cat litter available in New Zealand. None of them come close to the one I used in the UK (which was an American brand that's not available here). I have recently started using "Breeders' Choice" cat litter and am pleased with it so far. It's made from recycled paper, so you can flush it down the loo or compost it (as long as you don't use the compost for your veggies, of course) or use it as garden mulch. We buy it online from this place, whose service is really quick, but it looks as though it's cheaper elsewhere so I might shop around next time I need to order it.

we switched to wood pellets. It supposedly absorbs the water and it dries out as the cats paw around. I have two cats and I can go a week before it starts getting noticeable. I had to remove the cover off the litter tray in order to let the air circulate.

Thanks guys. I do miss the old clay clumping stuff although I know it is really bad for the environment. We have a covered cat tray but our cat is too stupid to manage the flap so we had to take it off. She also seems to be missing the tray quite a bit at the moment which probably doesn't help.

But yesterday she had poo'ed and wee'd in our spare toilet. Which may have been why the whole house smelt! Will try breeders choice next.

We used the clumping stuff from Animates. It wasn't as good as the stuff we used in the States, but was better than the alternatives we tried. We had less odor problem and it clumped better and lasted a lot longer. I usually added some baking soda or the powder in the shaker from Animates to help with odor.

Also, we used the big fish bins from Bunnings for litter boxes. They're tall enough that our large cats couldn't miss.

What a relief it is to once again have huge buckets of litter for $10 and a huge bag of good food for $15.

But yesterday she had poo'ed and wee'd in our spare toilet.
    That is a VERY neat trick. All you need now is for her to learn to flush it. (Unless you mean, she did it on the floor.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    That is a VERY neat trick. All you need now is for her to learn to flush it. (Unless you mean, she did it on the floor.)
    On the floor. Our cat is very sweet but not the smartest animal. She is however, perfect for NZ as she can't even catch spiders. The birds and weta's are safe as can be.

Aw. Oh, dear. I have seen a book with a method of training cats to use a human toilet, so I thought you'd managed it. One of our cats was accidentally shut upstairs when we went out once, and she did her best not to offend by doing what she had to do right by the plughole in the bath, which we thought was a very good effort!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast