Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vodafone Prepaid

Default Vodafone Prepaid

Hello everybody,
    I was just going through the Vodafone NZ website, and I just wanted to see if I was right in my assumption

- Vodafone is the only one that can be used with European phones anyway
    - There is only one Vodafone prepaid card available - SUPER PREPAY VALUE for 30 NZ Dollar (is there a credit on the card, because I just see all the specials)
    - Add ons like the Best Buddy option or the Text 2000 or 4000 can be purchased additionally. Will the charges be taken from the remaining balance (because it is a prepaid), if I do not have credit card or bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDan View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I was just going through the Vodafone NZ website, and I just wanted to see if I was right in my assumption

- Vodafone is the only one that can be used with European phones anyway
    - There is only one Vodafone prepaid card available - SUPER PREPAY VALUE for 30 NZ Dollar (is there a credit on the card, because I just see all the specials)
    - Add ons like the Best Buddy option or the Text 2000 or 4000 can be purchased additionally. Will the charges be taken from the remaining balance (because it is a prepaid), if I do not have credit card or bank account.
    It used to be that if you had a GSM phone then the only real option was Vodafone but this is no longer the case, Telecom and 2 degrees now also provide GSM services (although 2 degrees actually use Vodafone network).

When you buy the SIM card you used to get credit on the phone, now you get...

Customers will automatically receive free weekend voice calls and TXTs to mobiles on the Vodafone NZ network for four weeks from the date of SIM activation. (This value offer may change from time to time by Vodafone).
    And yes, if you go prepaid, any additional options are taken from your remaining balance.

Ian
    Last edited by IanW99; 1st January 2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Updated with latest information

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I can start comparing prices and tariffs again :-( But I guess most people have Vodafone anyway, which means that most calls will be to Vodafone numbers, which means again that I should go for Vodafone as well...
    But I will compare ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDan View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I can start comparing prices and tariffs again :-( But I guess most people have Vodafone anyway, which means that most calls will be to Vodafone numbers, which means again that I should go for Vodafone as well...
    But I will compare ;-)
    Whilst you are probably correct that Vodafone have a good market share, Telecom are by no means a small player in the market especially if you also want broadband or landline, also 2 degrees are generally considered to be the cheapest option.

Ian

Default 2deg

Just switched from Vodafone prepaid to 2 degrees. I could not believe the difference in pice at 44c per min vs. Vodafone's 89c per min.

I also like how you can choose you phone # (if not already taken).

Look closely at 2degrees. Most people I know who were on Vodafone prepay have switched to them.

Vodafone is the only one that can be used with European phones anyway
    Not true, I am using a phone brought from the UK with no troubles here on 2degrees so you may be able to bring your current one.

If, like me, you had a works phone that had to be given back, then look carefully at phone prices here and in the UK. It was (2.5 yr ago) much cheaper to buy a pay-as-you-go phone in the UK and get it unlocked for use here, than to buy a similar phone here. This may not be true for all people and all circumstances, I am a low end user with few calls and texts each month, and none of the modern hitech stuff.

Do bear in mind that a phone from europe may need to be unlocked.
    There are a few choices for networks including 2degrees which was definitely the preferred choice for us.
    When OH bought a vodafone sim for $30 it included $0 credit! that was about 3 or 4 months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    Do bear in mind that a phone from europe may need to be unlocked.
    There are a few choices for networks including 2degrees which was definitely the preferred choice for us.
    When OH bought a vodafone sim for $30 it included $0 credit! that was about 3 or 4 months ago!
    Yep, no readily available free Sim cards over here - although I did get given a 2degrees one and threw it away

I don't know enough people to warrant anything other than payg (Billy No Mates ). My OH and I brought our phones over and signed up to Vodafone because telecom couldn't get their act together, nor confirm that we'd get good coverage outside of Auckland as it would depend which networks our phone could be connected to. Sim card was $30, we added $30 and then signed into the Best Mate plan - free calls and txt to one number for $6 per month (you can have more than one number if you pay $6 for each). Money is deducted each month for this service and you get a txt message advising you of the up-coming charge to ensure you've got enough credit on your phone.

I'm on Txt2000 for $10 a month on Vodafone. And since most of my friends are on Vodafone I have no problems. I am added as a best mate on my OH's and two of my friend's phones though, so if I need to talk to them I just text them and tell them to call me.

Just getting rid of a double post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast