Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI police certificate - any recent experience?

Red face FBI police certificate - any recent experience?

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if anybody has any recent experience of getting their police certificate from the FBI, i.e. how long did it take? I made a big mistake by getting a police certificate from the state of Connecticut (where I lived from 4-21 years of age before moving to the UK), rather than the FBI so I am now VERY eagerly awaiting my certificate from the FBI. The rest of my WTR application is complete (it is with INZ London, they've been very helpful) and my employer in NZ wants me to start on 26 Jan so I'd be grateful for anybody's advice/recent experience regarding the FBI. I sent my application via Fed Ex, I tracked it and Fed Ex say it was delivered on 18 Dec. I've rung the CJIS helpline twice but they won't give any info regarding my application specifically, they just quote what's on their website '8-10 weeks'. I did put a deadline of 4 Jan on my envelope (really very foolish I know).
    Does anyone know of a person at the CJIS who was helpful, rather than just quoting their standard waiting time?
    Thank you!
    Bridget
    p.s. the twist in the tale is that I leave for Hawaii on 9 Jan, which was why I wanted to get my visa sorted before that date. Rather than flying all the way back to the UK and back again to NZ, I might enter NZ on a vistor's visa, immigration would electronically transfer my application to Hamilton (where my job offer is) and I would get a WTR permit from the Hamilton office.

Not sure if they can transfer your application, I seem to remember reading that once they've started then they don't tend to transfer applications. I know someone else has recently had two FBI searches done (one for the OH), but one got lost in the post. If you do a search then perhaps that would have some useful info regarding the timescale.

Hi Duncan
    Thanks for that, the 'getting lost and starting all over again' is the nightmare I'm hoping to avoid. The British Police certificate was so much easier to get. When I searched there were a few posts from May(ish) 2009 which gave a timeline of 3 weeks (!). That's why I'm a bit confused with what the FBI is telling me now, unless they've just been deluged with requests.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    That's why I'm a bit confused with what the FBI is telling me now, unless they've just been deluged with requests.
    Maybe they don't have a database, instead having to cross-reference vast numbers of index cards... *shudder*

Or possibly, the different state police forces etc take a while to give answers? I have no idea.. just guessing..

I have recent experience with the FBI. We sent our police checks off at the end of August (at that time, the website indicated 4 to 6 weeks for processing). Mine came back in about 4 weeks; my wife's was returned on the same day, but they requested a second sample. By the end of September, when she resubmitted a second set of prints the timeframes had been updated, and they took at least the 10 weeks. There is nobody at the FBI that was even a little bit helpful. My wife called every day for a month, and spent over 20 hours on hold. Nobody was even able to tell her if the second set had been received (they also had no record of the first set). The day after giving up and fedexing a 3rd set, the report finally arrived.

Thanks very much for the info and replies - after reading the last post I think sophiedb put it best shudder!
    72andsunny I'm glad you finally got your certificates sorted. I will keep my finger (prints) crossed that nothing has been lost in the post and all info I sent in was good enough.

FBI fingerprints were fast and easy. We did ours first in the U.S., they expired, and we did them in NZ. First time it was only 2 weeks returned (within U.S.) and second time when we mailed them from NZ, it was about 4 weeks.

Thanks globetrecker, that gives me a bit of hope. Spoke to FBI again yesterday and they still don't have me 'on their computer'. I asked at what point roughly during the 8-10 week process I should expect to appear on their computer (i.e., 4 weeks, 8 weeks or the day my certificate is posted back to me) and the response was 'I don't know'. If only tearing your hair out could be heard over the phone.... So I'm going to get 2 more sets of fingerprints taken when I'm on holiday in Hawaii next week, fill out 2 more application forms + payments, call the FBI from a Fed Ex shipping centre and ask if I should send another application and fingerprints if they can't find me on their computer.
    On the bright side, fingerprints in Hawaii cost $15 (compared to £63 in London/Surrey) and you can just walk in, no appt necessary!

My wife has the same case with the FBI. She was asked to send another set of fingerprints last November 2009 and up to now, still no results. How do we follow up with the FBI. Someone out there who has a direct email or phone to the FBI?
    Our medicals are also expiring by the end of this month. Should we contact INZ London brabch and tell them about the situation?

Hi Edwin, why don't you submit your applications without the police certificates and tell INZ that you've requested the certificates and they should be with you soon. You can then deliver the police certificates to INZ to add to your visa applications.
    I think the phone number for the FBI CJIS is the same one everyone else has: +1 304 625 5590. The only information I've ever gleaned from anyone that answers that phone is '8-10 weeks ma'am'. It should just be a recording. But as you must have reached about 8 weeks by now (or more) ask them if your wife is on their computer - I don't know what this means but if she's on the computer (I am not) maybe they can track the progress of her application? Good luck. If you come across anyone helpful would you mind letting me know their name/number?
    Bridget

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast