Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever applied for Work Visa and PR at same time?

Post Anyone ever applied for Work Visa and PR at same time?

Hiya all,

Has anyone ever done this? I was thinking about applying for my PR under partnership, and also the Temp work visa for 2 years as it's processed quicker, to cover myself and get outa here quicker. (just sold house unexpectedly and stupidly accepted entry date of end of month - Cue panic!!) Anyone out there ever done it/been given advice regarding? It appears I can use the same medical/police certs etc, can anyone verify?
    Any recent examples of processing times for partnership (when Kiwi been out of UK for over 2 years - I read that they are given priority, is this true?) Work visas and also PR from London Office?

I'd be really grateful for any info any of you have,

Many thanks,

Nikki.

I'd done it. Here's the timing with which I did it.
    EOI sub Apr'08
    EOI selected by Apr'08t
    Applied for Visitor visa 7th Apr (valid till 31st May'08)
    Visitor Visa stamped within a week of application
    Applied for Work Permit on 4th June'08 (valid till 30th Jan 09)
    WP stamped within a week of application
    Received ITA by June'08 end
    Submitted by Oct'08

and rest of the story is in the signature :-)

My medicals submitted for WP were valid till Sep'08, so we were just on the deadline and had to submit new medicals (as the old Medicals were valid for 3 months only); CO at that time said the old would suffice if previous one was submitted less than 3 months.

I submitted police certificates only for PR and was not required for WP (as my work based on WP was for less than 12 months)

I suppose your application will be required to submit at London as thats the closest NZIS office.
    Last edited by Sun777; 10th January 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Good to know the WP was done so quickly!

I may be on the right track....

Just digging around in my mountains of paper for all evidence needed, yawn...

Our PR decisions were delayed with medical issues so I applied for a work visa using the same documentation - just added a covering letter to the effect that many of the originals were with the PR application and the reference details so they could cross check it.

Turn around time (posting application to receiving passport with visa) was less than a week at the London office. My husband and children came with me and got 6 month temporary entry visitor permits at the border - luckily our PR came through about 4 weeks before they ran out!

Oh - should add that once we were here we requested our application be moved to the Christchurch office. I think it's faster when you're in the country already. No info about partnership processing times though.

Thumbs up

Thanks KateBen!!
    Woop woop!!

Was up till about 1 am digging out everything, there's something to be said for being a hoarder when it comes to these applications!

I always knew we'd be coming back to NZ, so kept every scrap of everything, I'll be glad if and when this is done and I can finally empty the filing cabinet from hell!!

Cheers again, you've just made my day!

Q: Did you just put photocopies of the doc's that you'd already submitted in,or just the ref from the application?

Ta,

Nikki

Smile 3 days

We were in New Plymouth on a visitors permit awaiting PR, my partner got a job offer and he went to Palmerston North office in person and got a two year work permit posted back in 3 days, I then applied as his patner and got mine in 6 days all by post. This was all in December 2008. Our PR was approved the following April.

Quote Originally Posted by peteemm View Post
    We were in New Plymouth on a visitors permit awaiting PR, my partner got a job offer and he went to Palmerston North office in person and got a two year work permit posted back in 3 days, I then applied as his patner and got mine in 6 days all by post. This was all in December 2008. Our PR was approved the following April.
    Yay! thanks a lot every body!! Just need a clear medical back and here we go!!

Congrats

Wow. This is interesting.

So some people actually applied for work permits without a job and got them? How long would those be for? Can you renew it? Are there restrictions on who can get one without a job? Anyone got a link?

I didn't realize this was an option. Get your ITA started and then move down, work until it is done. What happens if you are approved for WR and already have been working for half a year?

The information never ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast