Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submitting EOI under the SMC - teacher

I'm still looking for clarification on this as I'm not entirely sure.

I think it is because of the fact that the job is only for 20 hours.

I'm a 40-something now which is to old for WHV.

Kath,

Hello and welcome to the forum... I'm in a similar situation than yours, overseas and struggling with the IELTS score... you've scored pretty well... it isn't an easy job to score 8 within a maximun of 9 in that test.

I know of several teachers, like you, without English as maternal language, that have arrived to New Zealand and Australia with an interesting IELTS but, maybe, it isn't good enough to get a good job in their areas (teaching history, etc.)

In all cases it was a matter of time. New Zealanders have the hope that every of us can adapt to their society in all aspects, including the language. For that, you will need time, work and patience.

New Zealand is an immigrant nation, so, Kiwis are really friendly... you will see... try to have a little of patience and you will have a lovely life in there... for sure.

In adition, in the forum, you will find a lot of help from people who live there since a long time ago... most of them are British, so they have a great advantage (don't have to take the IELTS).

If I were you, I would travel to New Zealand as soon as I can to improve my language, adding the sympathic kiwi accent to your English. I don't know if I'm going to get a job in my area from the very begining, but, I hope I can get one when recruiters and my collegues find in me a fluent English speaker with a "rare" accent.

I hope that this words can help you.

Cheers,

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your encouraging words! I'm also very happy with my IELTS, as I scored 8,5 on all the other components. It's only the writing part that causes me a serious problem. A bit hard to swallow though as overseas teachers get registered with the required scores of 7. Anyway, there is no way around it, either I retest for a 7 on the writing or I find a job. People asked me on various occasions what my problem with the writing exactly is but since IELTS gives no feedback I really don't have a clue so improvement isn't very likely.

I'm in NZ at this very moment and I have to figure out whether I go through with my plans or just go back to the way things were. It would break my heart though as I grew very fond of this country but at this stage I feel this SMC is not 'designed' for me.

Hello Kath,

It is really cool for you to be there, I guess... so you can look over there, check it out if you can find comfortable enough.
    The thing is: migration is not an easy job, and everything depends on each migrant attitude.

At the end, with time you will realise what the best choice.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kath View Post
    Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your encouraging words! SNIP but at this stage I feel this SMC is not 'designed' for me.
    I'm baffled by you suggesting that you've not passed the written test, as it's only the lack of spelling and gramatical errors in your posts that show's you're not native English! Really, I do wonder what the issue is. Is there any chance it's your actual handwriting, or do you use a spellchecker for the posts here?

@ Daniel : I'm exploring all my options at the moment and eventually it will work out, it is indeed a matter of time of patience and attitude. I still do have my enthousiasm and willpower left so I should be fine. I found myself an IELTS-tutor to help me with the writing part.

@ Duncan : Though my mothertongue is Dutch, I'm a fully qualified English teacher back home, so the odd mistake here and there can occur as teachers prepare their lessons in advance but I don't prepare this posts. It might even be my spellingchecker as it is in Dutch.

Really, I honestly don't know what the issue is because they are not giving any feedback. All I know so far is that the discrepancy between the 3 other components (3 x 8,5) and the writing is very big and I'm not sure what to think about that. It's perhaps me being a teacher teaching kids to think for themselves in stead of learning things by heart. The writing part is only about using standard phrases and standard expressions and connective words and synonyms, as much as possible. Language teachers work the other way around with short sentences, easy language and encouraging the use of own words and expressions. So, I found myself a tutor and I will resit 30th of January. Hope all goes well!

Hello!

Do I also need to take IELTS?
    I graduated in a school (Philippines)where English is the medium of instruction and have taught in the US for 9 years. I have several certifications to prove. By the way, I am also applying as a teacher in NZ.
    Any thoughts about this is highly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12