Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submitting EOI under the SMC - teacher

Default Submitting EOI under the SMC - teacher

Hello everybody,

I'm an overseas (non-native english speaking) teacher looking for an opportunity to move to NZ.

I've completed the online EOI and ended up with 120 points since I don't have a valid job offer but I do hold an IQA granting me with level 8 and have over 8 years of experience.

At this stage I don't have registration with the Teachers Council since my IELTS with an overall score of 8 is not sufficient as I only scored a 6 on the writing component.

Now I was told I need actual registration with the Teachers Council to score the points for my qualifications and workexperience? If so, I'll loose almost all my points and I'm in no position to submit EOI

Can someone please help me out with this?

I don't know, but have heard from a lot of professionals on here that they have to meet the requirements of the NZ professional body to be recognized as a member of the profession for NZIS purposes, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is also the case for teaching.

I expect you've already found this, but here's the link to NZTC in case it helps. http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/r...y/overseas.stm

I presume you are resitting the IELTS test? I know forum members in the past have been taken by surprise by the format of some of the questions - even native English speakers (who have to take the test because of formal requirements by some professional bodies) have sometimes failed to get high enough scores in some parts for this reason. There are various websites providing practice papers for free.

Thanks for your reply

I'll indeed resit the IELTS but since I wasn't aware of the fact that I needed the registration, it wasn't a matter of importance so far. Not looking forward to it though but I'll set a date the soonest

Anyway, if so, no point in submitting EOI for selection next Wednesday?

It is all a bit confusing ... I did select in my application that I need registration with an occupational body but that it's not obtained yet and my score still is 120. So I figured the registration doesn't affect the score but now I'm not so sure about it anymore.

Anyone out there who knows something more about this situtation?

Yes to my own knowledge teachers must have NZTC registration and this is checked when appointed to a teaching job
    Sorry can't add anything to the IELTS discussion because that didn't apply to me

Thanks for your reply

So sorry to see this confirmed again but with a little bit of luck it might not be an issue anymore at short notice as I just have my first job interview lined up - a position for a Dutch teacher.

I hope all works out well as I can lodge EOI with a valid joboffer, scoring 145 points.

Unfortunately since you did not pass your IELTS, you need to retake the test. You also need to get your qualifications verified with NZQA before registering with the NZTC. All this takes a couple of months.

These agencies do not work in tandem with NZIS so even if you have a job offer and need to rush through your application--> they simply don't work like that.

Fast-tracking might help with NZQA but there is no guarantees. If all else fails and the process in too slow such as it is endangering your job offer, you could apply for a work permit instead while submitting your residency application.

Hello Batgirl,

My qualifications are already assessed by NZQA, I have IQA in my possession granting me with level 8. And indeed, it took them 5 months to get my qualifications assessed.

The job-offer is in a language academy so no registration with NZTC is necessary and as I am a native Dutch speaker, they can present me a valid job offer which I can use in my EOI as this job is related to my degree and workexperience. That's how a fellow teacher who already went through the entire process, explained it to me.

If this is not correct information, I think I have no other choice than to apply for a workpermit as I might have a valid job offer.

At this stage I still have to do the interview so let's just hope all goes well.

Your contact may well be right that 'language teacher' counts as a different career from 'teacher' (meaning, teaching in a school for children), and would be governed by different regulations. That is the case in the UK. It's worth investigating, I would think.

The job is mine if I can obtain a workpermit

This sounds like catch 22 again; the school can't employ me without a workpermit - I can't obtain a workpermit without a valid joboffer.

What is it about the job offer that is not valid? From what you said in post 7, it sounded as if your fellow language teacher had explained a procedure that would work - no need for NZTC registration after all, so your points would go up sufficiently.

I wonder, are you within the age range for a WHV? That would be a way of getting you quickly into the country to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast