Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Duration of Your Int'l/UK Driving Licence

Default The Duration of Your Int'l/UK Driving Licence

I am sure you all know that you can drive on your UK/Int'l driving licence for 12 months before you need to get a NZ Licence.

Did you know, however, that the 12 months begins with your FIRST arrival in the country and the clock starts ticking at that point??

Was musing this over with another forum member, and finally found the info on a website:

You can only drive in New Zealand if you have either an overseas licence or an international driving permit which you can use for up to one year from the day you arrive in New Zealand. After 12 months you cannot drive using an international licence - you must convert it to a New Zealand driver's licence. "

The 12 months begins from the FIRST time you arrive in the country. Some people think they can come in and out of New Zealand within the 12 month period and that the one year driving time on an international licence starts again east time - it does not! The clock starts ticking the day you FIRST arrive and expires 12 months later. You must then get a New Zealand licence to continue to drive.
    Source: http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/inform...ty/driving.cfm

An email (that was received by another forum member) also confirmed:

"I have included the following from the Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999.

"Overseas licence holders driving in New Zealand are only entitled to drive until the first of the following three situations occur (per Section 88 (2) (c) of the Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999):

A period of 12 months, beginning on the date the person first arrive in New Zealand, elapses; or

The document that enabled that person to be deemed to hold a New Zealand driver licence under subclause (1) expires, is suspended, or is revoked; or

An order is made disqualifying the person from holding or obtaining a driver licence, either in New Zealand or in the jurisdiction that granted the licence or permit."
    Please note if a person has visited NZ prior to 1 May 1999, the 12 month period will start from there first date of return after that. If a person has visited NZ in the past, but did not hold an overseas licence previously, they also can use the 12 month period from their first date of arrival while in possession of an overseas licence. "

So, if you came over in, say May 2000, and you come back now you must get your NZ licence immediately as your ability to drive on your UK/Int'l licence will have run out in May 2001! Likewise, if you come out on a recce now and then return in 6 months time, you have just 6 mths remaining until you need to get a NZ Licence.

I assume I am reading this right? :?

Default Re: The Duration of Your Int'l/UK Driving Licence

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    I am sure you all know that you can drive on your UK/Int'l driving licence for 12 months before you need to get a NZ Licence.

Did you know, however, that the 12 months begins with your FIRST arrival in the country and the clock starts ticking at that point??

So, if you came over in, say May 2000, and you come back now you must get your NZ licence immediately as your ability to drive on your UK/Int'l licence will have run out in May 2001! Likewise, if you come out on a recce now and then return in 6 months time, you have just 6 mths remaining until you need to get a NZ Licence.

I assume I am reading this right? :?

I don`t think that`s right.....

"Mr Williams said there was nothing stopping Asian students studying for 10 months in New Zealand using their overseas licence, going home for a few months then returning still using their overseas licence."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10123036

Bobby.

The test isn't that hard.....best just to do it and get it over with asap!

I did think it was a bit of a strange set-up. However, the email was unclear and I wanted to clear things up as my parents, who have been over for a few months in the past, are coming out for a long visit so wanted to ensure I had all the facts.

I think I might call relevant authority this week just to be sure.

Although I should add that the email quote above was received from:-

Senior Customer Services Representative
    Transport Registry Centre
    Land Transport New Zealand

staffordshire...but its only a matter or time

So, if we come back from our hols in Jan 06, our licences will run out Jan 07? So when we finally make the move in July 07, our Brit licences will be useless?? :eek

Or does this only apply when PR has been granted?

Is the test theory or practical or both?

OH MY GOD!

We are coming over in dec/jan and it will probably take ages after that to get accepted (if we apply which I'm sure we will!)

My hubby was hoping to try and get a job with his HGV class one licence how does this affect that plan?

Well that measn when we first went over there in 1991 our 12 months was up in 1992.

I think it must be exempt if you come on a visitors visa surely.

Jo

Default Lic

This point was made to me when I took out insurance on my car. I was asked if I'd visited NZ at any point in the past, because if I had, then my lic would only have been valid for a year from that date. I was told that many people think it's a year from each time you arrive in the country, but it isn't.

If I drove after the 12 months, from my first arrival then my car insurance would not be valid. Apparently there are 200k+ people driving in NZ on licenses that are not valid. Some people have done so for decades.

All depends on where you are coming from, but from the uk you only need to do a theory test.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast