Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluff Oysters

Default Bluff Oysters

Have found a new addiction - these are just fantastic - god knows what I'll do when the season ends - I just can't stop eating these - problem is they are more expensive than smoking!
    Salivating just thinking about them :P

Right, that's it, been hearing so much about them but Warren hates oysters so I haven't bothered... I'm off to get some NOW and I'll have them for my lunch whilst he's at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Right, that's it, been hearing so much about them but Warren hates oysters so I haven't bothered... I'm off to get some NOW and I'll have them for my lunch whilst he's at work!
    I was dubious at first, and still can't live with the idea of eating them 'au naturelle', but like them when they're done 'Kilpatrick' style (with bacon and worcester sauce, I think).

I'll try that! Love Lea & Perrins!

My bosses hubby dips them in egg and fries them!

Raw is best....just do it!
    Although, I'd recommend just squeezing some lemon over them a few minutes beforehand just to firm em up if you're sqeamish about the texture.
    And a nice balsamic & shallot dip is just the ticket too.

I'll try and refrain from making any comments about bronchitis !!

Mark loves Bluff Oysters - just as they come. Open them up and swallow. Quite frankly the mere thought makes me feel ill.

Call me a philistine if you like ..... but the only way I can eat them is covered in a tempura batter and deep fried :eek

I remember when we lived in Oz, we had a Norrie family get together. The inlaws flew over from NZ and dad in law brought 10 dozen Bluff oysters with him. I don't think I'll ever forget the sight of everybody sitting around slurping these globs of grey goob.

Quite disgusting.

I think you may have missed it this year Moorf (end of March-ish I think) but a visit to the Bluff Oyster Festival is well worth it if you're into that kind of thing.

Diny

Still some at the supermarkets

Gotto admit I pefer Scallops,

Try this one, Its lovely............

SQUID AND SCALLOPS

Allow 3 queen scallops per person.
    Allow 1 med squid tube with tentacles per person
    - choose tubes all same size.

First,
    Remove the skirt and coral, ( Should add, thats the skirt/coral on scallop, not yours ladies ). :eek ... Naked Chef, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
    rinse scallop meat and place in fridge on kitchen paper. Remove skin from squid and cut into rings -
    the thicker the body of squid the thinner the rings should be
    and vice versa. Rinse tentacles well to remove grit. Leave the length whole but divide into 2 or 3 depending on thickness - leave small tentacles together and separate larger ones (to help even cooking). Place squid on kitchen paper to absorb excess water.

When ready to assemble have salad garnish ready and 2 frying pans - a heavy skillet for the scallops and a lighter pan for the squid. Sprinkle a little salt on the scallops about 6 - 10 min before cooking. Cook scallops first, searing on both sides and removing pan from heat to rest and finish cooking. Place some clarified butter in squid pan and heat until almost smoking. Swirl butter around pan to coat then remove excess butter. Throw in squid - leave for 30 seconds to let heat in pan recover (you can season lightly at this stage), toss until evenly seared and remove from heat while still opaque. Timing is crucial, as the squid will carry on cooking in pan. Plate up squid first and scallops on top. Drizzle with a little dill, mustard & honey dressing and serve while squid & scallops are still warm and opaque. Garnish with cornflowers and or marigold petals and a good wedge of lemon.

Enjoy

John

( Drooling over me keyboard )

YUM!!!!!

I love Bluff Oysters with lemon and washed down with beer.

You could also try them with a bit (just a dash) of tabasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Diny
    I don't think I'll ever forget the sight of everybody sitting around slurping these globs of grey goob.
    Frank Skinner once described eating raw oysters as sucking phlegm off the back of a tortoise. Sort of puts you off a bit...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast