Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 years in today & Paraparaumu Beach

Default 2 years in today & Paraparaumu Beach

We have now been here 2 years today, reason for the post is to ask yet more questions, I never seem to run out of them.
    We now have our house on the market & are looking at moving to Paraparaumu Beach or Raumati Beach but itís quite hard getting to know the place when you have 2 young children in tow & live 45 mins away, 4 yr old is already fed up of looking at houses & driving around & that was when we were looking at some where else so now we are starting the search again & would like to know good & bad points, Iíve read some earlier threads which have been great. Do the 2 areas just merge into each other or are they quite different?

As I said we have a 4 yr old & 19 month old so schooling/kindy info needed, travelling time to Wellington CBD by scooter? (found the train stuff this morning) although are the trains packed so you donít get a seat? Howís the airport at Paraparaumu? Is it busy/noisy? Shopping as well, are there the big stores like Farmers or would I have to travel for those
    Any other stuff you might think would be useful Iíd be grateful

Talking Happy Anniversary

Hi there Lindsey

Lovely to hear from you. We've missed you!!

First and foremost a hearty CONGRATULATIONS to you all on making the two year mark. I wish you and your family many more happy years here in NZ.

Secondly, when we first arrived in NZ (to live), we rented a holiday home just off Raumati Beach and spent our first 6 months there.

The views of the beach and Kapiti Island were spectacular, and it was nice to have the beach so close. On the downside though, the wind coming in off the sea used to rattle the roof making the most horrendous din!!

Our three kids went to the beach school and loved it there. I believe there is a kindy attached to the school, but I don't know much about it I'm afraid.

Coastlands Mall is nice and there seems to be quite a good selection of shops there. They have a Farmers in the mall.

As far as travelling goes, hubby used the train to get from Param to Welly for a while. He said the following:

"When you board in the morning from Param, you should have no problem getting a seat, especially as it's the beginning of the line. Parking can be a bit of a pain though, but the car park is relatively big". "It's when you return from Welly back to Param you might have more trouble finding a seat, but as the train gets closer to Param, the train becomes practically empty".

Hope this is some help to you hun.

All the best,

Arwen. xx

Ahhh thanks Arwen, that's great to know there's a few shops about, I just forget what I've seen as before now we have only ever gone that way for the beach.
    I'm quite excited by it I must say, I love where we are but we've just grown out our house & it was spend $100k to extend or up size & reduce the mortgage a bit of a no brainer if we get the beach into the bargain

Lindsey, have pm'd you on most of this but to answer your question on the airport you'd hardly even know it was there as most of the planes are all single seater Cessna types. Air2There operate services out of Paraparaumu with a 20ish seater but you'll never be bothered by noise.

The airport has just got approval to be redeveloped and Air New Zealand are supposed to be operating services to Auckland in a couple of years but I don't think that that will add too much to the noise. It's all relative I suppose as we lived under the Heathrow flightpath for 10 years and never really worried about that!

If anything, it'll add to the area as Bunnings have been trying to open a store here for years but until the airport plan approval it's always been rejected. Also got to be good for local jobs which will be a real boon for the area as commuting can occasionally drag.

Lindsey - Pram beach is the bigger and newer area. Lots of new sub-divisions but the beach shop area and surrounds has some older properties also. Raumati Beach (and even more so Raumati South) has a greener, more established feel to it IMHO. They all sort of lead in to each other along the coast roads.
    Trains - no problem getting a seat (either way except for the 4.40 return I've found).
    Shops - a fair selection but still find ourselves going to Porirua for more selection

Other thing to be aware of is the new expressway planned right through the middle of raumati/paraparam. This (if it goes ahead) will seriously affect the character of the area and would impact lots of properties from a traffic and noise perspective. It really is a half *** solution to SH1 problems

Default Parapram & Raumati Schools / Houses

Hi

thought I would write a quick note, we flew back last week from our investigative tour and love the area, but you need to think about the schools as there are zones, Pram beach school is amazing the best we saw in NZ and has won all sorts of awards, but the zone is v.small, Raumati beach school was good as well (with both a kindy & nursery school) next door, again there is a zone, but a bigger one. The third main school in the area is Ruamati south which had a bad ero report about some bullying and is on an annual review rather than the 3 year review.

I am sure you know all of this, but thought it worth mentioning in case you don't go to their websites and print off the zone maps and it makes it really clear where the areas for the schools are. We e-mailed the schools and asked to look and they were really helpful.

Good luck - really jealous (we met a fab estate agent whilst we were there if you are interested).

Quote Originally Posted by BrightonBrowns View Post
    Hi

tThe third main school in the area is Ruamati south which had a bad ero report about some bullying and is on an annual review rather than the 3 year review.
    Hi - I believe it has an annual review this year to check on progress on initiatives implemented by the school. This is following the appointing of a new head and deputy. It also raised some points on special needs provision.

We have found the school to be very good and having a child with special needs have been impressed with the support offered - something we were very unconvinced about with Raumati Beach. No evidence to us so far of bullying - our child has been there for 2 years; in fact the school are very proactive on helping other students understand our son and his 'quirks'.

My wife is a primary school teacher and did a tour of the primary schools and kindies when we first got here (4 yrs) and also 2.5 yrs ago before our eldest attended school. Pram Beach is a very good school (we failed on the ballot as we were out of zone) and have heard good reports on Kena Kena. Raumati Beach has a good reputation although locally I have heard several concerns raised on the size of classes and general overcrowding of the school - not sure how true this is but was from several people in the Raumati Beach zone attending Raumati South school.

Thanks for the update - it is good to hear that you are pleased with the school - it is so hard to know what really goes on when you are just looking in from the outside. We will add it back onto the list of possible schools then, which of course widens the area we can live in.

Thanks

Think the main issue with Raumati South school is that it ISN'T zoned so it means that anyone can go there whereas all the others are.

Quote Originally Posted by langers View Post
    Think the main issue with Raumati South school is that it ISN'T zoned so it means that anyone can go there whereas all the others are.
    I'd heard rumours they were going to zone it but I think in reality it's not needed unless Raumati Beach expands more. Most people stay local and Raumati South isn't really expanding in size. The Pram side of Raumati Beach and Pram itself is served by Kapiti, Paraparaumu, St. Pats and Kena Kena which are all unzoned I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast