Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raised blood pressure a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    I've never immigrated to the US, so I am not terribly familiar with most entrance requirements...however: I have worked in hospitals with large immigrant populations, and I can tell you that without out a doubt NZ's health restrictions are far stricter than anything the US has come up with.
    When I last looked (granted, a few years ago) the health checks required to immigrate to both Canada or the US were pretty much the same as for NZ.

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    When I last looked (granted, a few years ago) the health checks required to immigrate to both Canada or the US were pretty much the same as for NZ.

Daniela
    The requirements for a medical exam may be about the same, but I've just never heard of any one being denied for the things people on this forum post about. [And I can assure you that if someone were denied residence in the US because their spouse or child had some fatal illness, this would be all over CNN!] Here's an excerpt from an immigration attorney's website--this matches my understanding that [from a health perspective] US immigration is interested only in protecting those already in the country from communicable diseases:

http://www.us-immigration-attorney.com/medical-exam.htm

What are “medical grounds of inadmissibility”?

“Medical grounds of inadmissibility” is a term used when an applicant has a health condition which is a public health concern to the United States. Under the U.S. immigration laws, the medical grounds of inadmissibility are divided into four categories:

communicable disease of public health significance;

lack of required vaccinations (for immigrant visa applicants only);

physical or mental disorders with harmful behavior; and

drug abuse/drug addiction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123