Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The Moving Company" in Auckland

We used John Mason for the UK end and The Moving Company (Wellington) handled the NZ end. We had quite a lot of damage (chipped furniture, a slashed mattress) but no missing items. Our greatest headache was transportation time (which admittedly was down to JM UK rather than The Moving Company in NZ): it took 4 months door to door (in a shared container) which was a total nightmare.

Our second batch of shipping arrived via the Moving Company Auckland. We had no damage at all on the first batch and quite a lot on the second. My gorgeous oak table was badly scratched and this was probably due to negligent handling by them. I can barely push it across the floor and yet I saw one guy pick it up himself and balance it on his shoulder. The table wrapping was loose and when I examined it, it was badly scratched in several places. We were not able to claim on insurance as they required about 10 documents related to the shipping. So keep EVERY bit of paper you get from them.

OK, it was not far off 3 years ago, but we used John Masons in UK, and had The Moving Company in NZ. John Masons were fab and did a great job of packing. The Moving Company were awful....they took no care with our boxes or furniture and several items were damaged due to their handling (we were watching them very carefully). We claimed more on insurance than we paid, and even that was a pain in the behind as they argued it all the way.....but did cough up in the end. New mattress (they bent it in half to carry up stairs in a hurry ), damage to £1000 treadmill, damage to TV unit, broken lamps, broken plates (where the guys had dumped boxes down on counter the wrong way up). They also 'misplaced' several boxes. Surprise surprise....all DVD's and CD's (and our fridge....covered in dents). My OH threw a fit and eventually they did turn up several days later and had all been opened and contents rearranged. They has not been checked by customs (we checked). Luckily we had a database with a list of everything so we were able to check that nothing was missing.

Anyway, wouldn't touch that particular branch again with a barge-pole.

Would like to add that we used Crown for our recent inter-island hop. Same procedure as we opted to have things sent down by boat in a container and some of the furniture export packed. Service was considerably better....especially Christchurch end. Only damage was a cracked lid on a large plastic tub.

The moving company made us pay for cleaning one of our cars which did NOT require any cleaning at all! $250. They had told the MAF officer to fail the car on purpose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12