Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal Barbecues

Default Charcoal Barbecues

We are big fans of charcoal barbecues but man, are they hard to light here. We've had 4 goes tonight and it did finally take but by the time it did, it was kind of late.

So does anyone have any advice? We're using Warehouse charcoal and firelighters. I really don't want to give up and go to gas. They seem just like outdoor cookers and I don't see the point. Or am I wrong?

No idea on lighting it although that gel stuff in the UK was good if you can get it here
    I love my barbie & wasn't keen on getting a gas one but I have to admit I love it, no hassle almost instant cooking, no mess & the food still tastes good but that could be because I forgot what charcoal cooked food tasted like, I'd say get a gas one but good luck in getting yours quicker

What you need is a chimney starter:

http://www.bbqjunkie.com/equipment/c...imney-starter/

Yip, NZ charcoal leaves something to be desired. I had success with a combination of the white firestarter cubes mixed throughout the briquettes, all stacked in a tall, empty can, and generously doused with fire gel. The gel is mainly alcohol that has been thickened to help keep it from evaporating quickly and to stick to what you want to burn. I got it at Mitre10.

Here's what liquid oxygen will do for a charcoal grill.
    Last edited by Nathan; 17th January 2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: more info...

What ever happened to using plain petro? Just douse some on the charcoal and drop a match.

If handling volatile liquids is tough, I remember using the white crumbly fire starters blocks. I forgot the exact name but they came in a flat pack much like a large 250g chocolate bar packaging. You crumble them up and light. It doesn't go WOOMPH! like lighting petro would.

I agree with the chimney starter. We bought ours at Bunnings last year. They had no idea what it was, and they had just started stocking them, but they had it!

Also- if you get more expensive charcoal I find it lights better. (I like the chunk charcoal much better than the briquettes).

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    We're using Warehouse charcoal and firelighters. I really don't want to give up and go to gas. They seem just like outdoor cookers and I don't see the point. Or am I wrong?
    My ex-flatmate and I thought the same and bought charcoal BBQs. It went well, until the winds pick up. That was in Dunedin, and the area we lived in is a beach suburb, so you can imagine how useful charcoal BBQs can be

I still love charcoal BBQ grills but it may not be very useful in windy places (like a beach suburb!).

I'm in Palmerston North and it gets REALLY windy here sometimes- but the chimney starters really help with getting the charcoal lit even in windy conditions!

Thanks all. We'll try a chimney starter before we give up!

try using manuka instead of charcoal )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast