Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anemia

Quote Originally Posted by marlene View Post
    However I had some very awkward experiences with the medical tests taken in New Zealand. First of all they said dipstick test showed blood in urine. They repeated this test and the result remained the same. Needless to tell you how scared I was initially since I've never had something like that.
    That happened to me too! I never had that result from my UK immigration medical for my work permit but when I had my medical in NZ for PR, they found this result 3 times. After several other tests, I was given the all clear and no holds up for PR.

what really cofuses me is: 1. the innitial tests find something which clarly it isn't there since further tests don't confirm initial tests and 2. the fact that innitial results are put down in the medical certificate before the lab tests are ready. What am I supposed to believe now? that the low iron finding is also an innitial impression/result and needs to be repeated? What if I bump into a MA who doesn't give me an ok and doesn't even bother to ask me to repeat it. I begin to regret not taking these tests in the Netherlands.
    Last edited by marlene; 25th February 2010 at 12:10 AM.

What if I bump into a MA who doesn't give me an ok and doesn't even bother to ask me to repeat it.
    The MAs don't work on a whim - they have a procedure to follow, so 'not bothering' is not an issue. If you felt your eventual outcome was unfair or improper, there is a full appeal system where the case could be reviewed.

But you are a long way from that, so try not to think the worst for the time being. (And many sympathies because we all know the waiting is horrible.)

Also, the whole NZ medical profession isn't in question because of this one man you didn't get along with - if you need to ask for a second opinion, I'm sure people on here will be able to recommend someone in the area.

you are right JandM, it's a long way ahead, waiting and more waiting
    thanks for reassuring me!

Food intolerances can also be a cause of iron deficiency anaemia
    you don't absorb vitamins and minerals

Have they tested you for kidney stones? They told me that was one possibility for blood in urine.

It's much worse, cappuccino, they found blood in urine in the dipstick test and then they sent the same urine to the lab and the lab found no blood red cells in the urine! so their initial test was wrong. That is exactly what annoyed me, the fact that they had an initial test which was wrong and the fact that they put the wrong result in the certificate before expecting the lab result!
    The blood test were normal and kidney stones is out of the question.
    What may have happened in the dipstick test is cause my blood is thinner since I lack iron, more red cells pass in the urine and the less accurate test which is the dipstick shows blood in urine, but the more accurate lab test clarifies the matter. Had they waited for the lab test and put that in the certificate would have been so much better than this situation where the urine lab result is a separate piece of paper attached to the medical file. I don't think medical tests passed anywhere are error free, human body is not a push button piece of work, but a highly complicated and complex machine and doctors are not gods just as medicine is not magic.
    Last edited by marlene; 25th February 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marlene View Post
    It's much worse, cappuccino, they found blood in urine in the dipstick test and then they sent the same urine to the lab and the lab found no blood red cells in the urine! so their initial test was wrong. That is exactly what annoyed me, the fact that they had an initial test which was wrong and the fact that they put the wrong result in the certificate before expecting the lab result!
    The blood test were normal and kidney stones is out of the question.
    What may have happened in the dipstick test is cause my blood is thinner since I lack iron, more red cells pass in the urine and the less accurate test which is the dipstick shows blood in urine, but the more accurate lab test clarifies the matter. Had they waited for the lab test and put that in the certificate would have been so much better than this situation where the urine lab result is a separate piece of paper attached to the medical file. I don't think medical tests passed anywhere are error free, human body is not a push button piece of work, but a highly complicated and complex machine and doctors are not gods just as medicine is not magic.
    But they didn't put the wrong result in the certificate.

From what you have said I wouldn't worry about it at all, at most I would expect a small delay if it has to go to the MA.

What you could have done was to get the doctor to amend your medical and re-sign it with the corrected information. Whether the CO would pass it on to the MA even then would no doubt be down to the individual CO.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Yeah, I think it might be the case since the CO thicked the abnormal findings box (also for the low iron) so now all I can do is wait. I shouldn't have issues because of this, I mean there are people with much more serious findings passing through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12