Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Your Front Loading Washing Machine Smell?

Default Does Your Front Loading Washing Machine Smell?

Can anyone give me some insight if your washing machine smells? Particularly the front loading type? I've been Googling and came across this report about the hassles (or extra maintenance) required for front loaders in controlling bacteria and mould growth. (link)

I know the argument about front loaders is they use less water. My argument is factoring the clean cycle + costs to buy specific front loader detergents & cleaners + your time to clean the seals. Is this all really worth it just for the sakes of saving some water? It appears the older top loading washing machines have less maintenance.

What about the reliability of either types?

BQ

I've been using front-loaders for 25+ years, and none of them have ever smelled or become mouldy, and I've never had to clean the seals either. I do check the seals now and again as my husband has a habit of leaving coins, nails and all other sorts of bits and pieces in his pockets, so I check the seals to make sure there isn't anything trapped in them. I prefer front-loaders to top-loaders because I have found that they get clothes cleaner, and that they are gentler on the clothes, but then I've never had a brand-new top-loader, so I'm probably comparing apples to oranges.

I've been using front-loaders for 25+ years, and none of them have ever smelled or become mouldy, and I've never had to clean the seals either. I do check the seals now and again as my husband has a habit of leaving coins, nails and all other sorts of bits and pieces in his pockets, so I check the seals to make sure there isn't anything trapped in them.
    Same here, exactly.

My son and d-i-l had a front-loader in their first house in NZ, then the second one had a top-loader. They found this wore out their clothes far faster, and didn't get them as clean, so bought their own new front-loader and used that instead.

I'm loyal to front loaders. I usually leave the door slightly open at the end of the cycle to help the machine dry. My mum used to leave a cloth in the seal of the door to soak up any excess water but I've never bothered and never had any problems. Like posters above, found it to be gentler on clothes and has excellent cycles to get clothes clean.
    HTH

I have a Bosch front loader that we brought over for the UK, and to be honest, I do get some nasty smells in it sometimes.

I have to regularly clean the seals as they tend to get a build up of yucky slimy black stuff on them if left too long (which is probably responsible for the nasty smells). I regularly have to run a clean water rinse cycle, just to give it a thorough wash through, but the problem quickly builds up again.

Maybe it's a filter problem, or just inadequate drainage at our house. We have been experiencing problems with our dishwasher too. I'll have to get someone to investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    My argument is factoring the clean cycle + costs to buy specific front loader detergents & cleaners + your time to clean the seals.
    The detergent I use for my front loader is no dearer than the top-loading options for the same brand.

I've got a bit of mold on the seal but nothing that causes a smell or problems with the washing. Try wiping off any excess water from seal after a wash and keep the door ajar between washes.

You could try running a cycle or washing a load of towels with white vinegar. We had this problem in our Chch rental and I added vinegar to a load of towels (I use this when towels start smelling moldy also and it works!) I found this solution on the internet so now I keep a bottle of vinegar in my laundry room.

My bathroom which doubles as laundry room perceptually smells of mould so I don't know if the washer itself has that problem. I do keep the washer door opened at all times though. The clothes after airing in the sun doesn't smell.

I also do a "dry run" (run washer with no clothes in it) every ten washes or so. My instruction booklet says I should do that as part of regular maintenance.

Thanks for sharing the video clip and vinegar tip!

the front loader in our flat in the UK used to smell, i Kept a bottle of washing machine sanitiser to put in the machine once a month or so when i noticed the smell.

Never had that problem- don't forget to routinely clean the filter as perhaps that's causing the problems? I do wipe the seals from time to time, just use a wet towel before running a warm wash.

We were initially really enthusiastic about top loaders as the one we had washed everything so quickly and did massive loads. However, it wasn't long before everything looked 'tired' (bobbly and stretched) and stains on clothes multiplied unless I used all sorts of laundry additives.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast