Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why become a citizen?

Default Why become a citizen?

My wife and I are weighing becoming a citizen vs permanent resident - anyone have any comments/input?

Quote Originally Posted by manuellynch View Post
    My wife and I are weighing becoming a citizen vs permanent resident - anyone have any comments/input?
    You have to become a permanent resident in NZ before you can become a NZ citizen.

Ian

Yup, you need 5 years PR, so dinnae worry yourselves just yet.

Yes, there's no 'versus' about it. Nobody just decides to be a citizen - it's something you have to work up to and qualify for.

I guess the question was if you are qualify for NZ Citizenship, What the pros and cons of remain as Permanent resident vs Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by manuellynch View Post
    I guess that there is no much difference between being PR or NZ citizen if your are inside New Zealand.

I think that the concept of citizenship is a bit stronger than a permanent resident. PR is simply that you're allowed to live and work there for life. Citizenship is more of an allegience to the country, and signifies that you are prepared to embrace and advance the culture (in all senses) of the country.

I guess the issue is how strongly you feel about your citizenship to your original country, or indeed in some cases your desire to relinquish that link.

Doesn't it mean you get an NZ passport and have all the stuff with being able to freeflow with Australia too? We don't know whether to do it, when we qualify in 2 years, because it does look expensive, and the ceremony looks a bit cringey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben10 View Post
    I guess the question was if you are qualify for NZ Citizenship, What the pros and cons of remain as Permanent resident vs Citizen.
    Apparently not, if you read the OP's other postings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Doesn't it mean you get an NZ passport and have all the stuff with being able to freeflow with Australia too? We don't know whether to do it, when we qualify in 2 years, because it does look expensive, and the ceremony looks a bit cringey.
    Yep! The instructions say is that you can bring your holy book to swear on if you wish. I'd love to know if there is an athiest version of the ceremony?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast