Thread: Moving from city to city - how to move our stuff?

Default Moving from city to city - how to move our stuff?

We're considering a move from Nelson to Dunedin and are wondering about the options for moving our goods there:

a) rent (and drive) a truck (similar to UHaul in the States?)
    b) rent a trailer, pull it with our car
    c) hire a company to move things for us

We have a lot of stuff, so a trailer (b) would have to be big, and I've never driven with a trailer before, so I'd rather not try it here. We might not even be able to pull it with our car. That leaves #a and #c.

If renting your own truck is significantly cheaper than hiring a moving company, we'll probably opt for that.

What truck rental companies would you recommend? Also, which ones are likely to allow a baby car seat?

Thanks!

I don't know of any U Haul type rental companies at all in NZ. Or any type of city to city truck rentals.

We actually rented a truck from an equipment rental type place to move. TBH, I think it would have cost about the same to get a moving company to bring their truck and move everything. I didn't realize this until AFTER we did it all, of course. But this was all for an in town move.

Everyone I know that has moved from city to city had to use a moving service.

I've seen this article and I have seen families use movers and then use them (Piggy) just after for stuff they wanted to move themselves and not spend on movers I guess.

http://www.vuwsa.org.nz/support-and-...-trailer-hire/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!

We have about 250 cubic feet of stuff to move, which is about 7 cubic meters. It's all in boxes, except for some folded tables. Do you think the most economical way to move that volume is by driving it ourselves or having it shipped for us?

Also, do you have any recommendations for long-term storage options once it gets to the destination? Are there shippers that give good rates for storage and shipping together?

Thanks a bunch!

We moved up to Blenheim form Dunedin with a rented truck.., actually, we did it in two tours, because it was about our whole household and we came out with a 40feet+ container five years ago.
    There are quite some companies around who hire out trucks, but you need a special licence to be able to drive the bigger ones.
    And you need to check if they offer one- way rentals, as well.

I just went through the yellow pages and called the companies and asked for quotes, I also asked for quotes from moving companies and we then compared and decided. I don't think it is so much cheaper to do it on your own, to be honest.., my OH thought it would be some sort of an adventure and he enjoyed driving the truck! But you have to be aware that you are required to have a log- book and keep certain driving and rest times.

HireQuip rents trucks.Their smallest can be driven on a regular car license. Check with them.

The in town movers we've been looking at are 85/hour for 2 guys+ truck, so compare whatever prices you get versus that.