Thread: Pet friendly accommodation in Christchurch?

Default Pet friendly accommodation in Christchurch?

Hi forum!

Does anyone know of any dog friendly short term/long term accommodation in or around Christchurch? We are looking to make the move from Auckland to Christchurch in a couple of months with our dog. I can't really find much info on the internet... not sure how to make this work!

Thanks

Rose, Rob and Cherry

We found several places in Christchurch that were happy to accept us with two cats. A dog might be more difficult, but I found that just emailing people about their properties (realestate.co.nz, trademe.co.nz, holidayhomes.co.nz etc.) and asking often resulted in a surprising 'OK'. I'd recommend where we're staying, but I know that they are booked up for the whole of April, May and June so I am guessing that would be no good?

It would definitely be worth a look, do they have a website? We don't have a set date, we're just in the planning stage at the moment. Thanks

It is a perennial issue for those of us with dogs as part of our families.

In the USA, one of the largest motel chains (Motel 6) openly welcomes and encourages dogs and other pets. Good for business no doubt.

Here, you may find holiday homes where dogs are allowed "outside only" and then pretty rarely. Even campsites ban them in the summer.

Sadly - for a place with so much countryside - NZ is very dog-unfriendly on the whole.

There is a book I have seen once or twice in the shops that lists places you can take your pets - but I cannot recall the title and don't have a copy yet. Whitcoulls or somewhere should be able to find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by roseandrob View Post
    Hi forum!

Does anyone know of any dog friendly short term/long term accommodation in or around Christchurch? We are looking to make the move from Auckland to Christchurch in a couple of months with our dog. I can't really find much info on the internet... not sure how to make this work!

Thanks

Rose, Rob and Cherry
    Hi, we are about to put our house up for rent - it is in Oxford - about 45 minutes out of Christchurch. We have told our agent we are happy for dogs as long as they are house trained. The property is well fenced (we have dogs and lived there for a year). If you want more info then please pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    Sadly - for a place with so much countryside - NZ is very dog-unfriendly on the whole.
    It is a pity, pets can change the bad energy in a place... I don't know how it works but, according to my experience and my friends' experiencies, usually, a house with pets is better than one without them.

Sometimes, I come back home plenty of troubles and Toto (my dog) receive me jumping and shaking his tail... and believe me, I forget about that bad matters...

That is true Daniel, unconditional love

We miss our dogs - they have been in kennels in NZ for almost 6 months. We are coming back in March for a visit and can't wait to see them and take them out. Hopefully we will be bale to bring them home shortly after if we manage to sell or rent the house.