Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit bulls - a major concern?

Default Pit bulls - a major concern?

Pit bulls are in the news again this week with two separate attacks on young children.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...aws-re-ignited

My pit-bull radar is certainly turned on every time I go out after hearing one attack a pedestrian on my street six months ago, and the dog is still around. I was brought up with dogs but IMHO pit bulls should not have been allowed into NZ and current dog control laws for dangerous breeds are inadequate.

What do other forumites feel about this issue?

According to the news last night, the surgeon who operated on the little girl is a Brit whos says that in his experience banning these sort of dogs in the UK has NOT worked.

Frankly I'd like to see the numbers that back this up. Anyway New Zealand is a bit different. With it's remoteness, lower population and animal quarentine laws I guess it would be easier to implement a total ban on certain dogs.

I would be all for legislation that banned dangerous breeds of dogs.

Without getting all Dog Whisperer on you all - its the owner not the dog that's the problem. Of course some dogs are more prone to these kinds of incidences - but mainly because their physical power allows them to be. I've met a lot more vicious Chihauhas than Pit-Bulls! Do you have to get a dog licence in NZ? I think they should ensure that people know how to train and control their dogs, and that they want one for right reason (i.e. hardcases buying fighting dogs for status and train them to be dangerous). I don't know exactly how you'd do it though...

Quote Originally Posted by RachieRoo View Post
    Without getting all Dog Whisperer on you all - its the owner not the dog that's the problem.
    I do happen to agree with you on this RachieRoo, but as long as we have eejuts like that guy from Auckland who was busy feeding his Pit Bull kittens for breakfast lunch and tea, we will ALWAYS have a problem.

Of course some dogs are more prone to these kinds of incidences - but mainly because their physical power allows them to be.
    Very true, but I think some dogs (like humans) are genetically prone to be more psychotic than others.

I've met a lot more vicious Chihauhas than Pit-Bulls!

Do you have to get a dog licence in NZ? I think they should ensure that people know how to train and control their dogs, and that they want one for right reason (i.e. hardcases buying fighting dogs for status and train them to be dangerous). I don't know exactly how you'd do it though...
    Yes you do have to get your dog licenced here in NZ. AFAIK, there are no stipulations as to what type of dog you can own. I think your idea is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
    Yes you do have to get your dog licenced here in NZ. AFAIK, there are no stipulations as to what type of dog you can own. I think your idea is really good.
    Whilst you can own any type of dog currently, you can't import the following types:-

Dog Breeds
    • Brazilian Fila
    • Dogo Argentino
    • Japanese Tosa

Type of dog
    • American Pit Bull Terrier

And if you own any of these currently then they are considered "menacing" under the Dog Control Act 1996 so must normally be neutered and wear a muzzle when out in public.

The biggest problem is that there are very few pure breeds left in NZ and therefore many owners claim that their dog isn't one of the affected breeds.

Ian

And if you read North and South this month it has a sobering article about just how many dogs actually are registered- precious few.

I want much stronger implementation of on/off leash areas- but it cuts both ways. I think here in Cambridge we have plenty of fenced off leash areas that it's quite appropriate to insist that everywhere else is on-leash and fine owners heavily for disobeying (among other measures), but other councils need to improve their provision. Generally, despite being a real dog lover, I want all dogs off the streets unless they're on a leash as it's hard enough for kids to play out with the traffic threat, let alone roaming dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Whilst you can own any type of dog currently, you can't import the following types:-

Dog Breeds
    • Brazilian Fila
    • Dogo Argentino
    • Japanese Tosa

Type of dog
    • American Pit Bull Terrier

And if you own any of these currently then they are considered "menacing" under the Dog Control Act 1996 so must normally be neutered and wear a muzzle when out in public.

The biggest problem is that there are very few pure breeds left in NZ and therefore many owners claim that their dog isn't one of the affected breeds.

Ian
    I think that is the issue in the UK plus there's a lot of dogs that look like dangerous breeds.

Checking the UK information - it's the same list as NZ.

But statisitically the most attacks on children in the UK are caused by Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Rottweilers - both of which are not banned.

Oh and by the way - I looked it up. In recent years since the Dangerous Dogs Act is in force in the UK - fatalities from dog attacks is up over 40% and A&E admissions over 14%.

It's the owners not the dogs. Banning the dogs will do nothing. You can make any type of dog vicious- and if that's the type of dog a person wants then they will find a way to have that type of dog.

I have attempted to post on this subject about 3 times but the phone rings or the doorbell. Argh!

When importing a dog, you have to get a letter from your vet swearing that the dog is not one of those breeds. (pit bull etc)

I was a bit shocked to discover that there were already a LOT of pit bulls in NZ. For some reason, I thought that since you couldn't import them, there must not be any. But clearly, there are already too many.

I used to agree that it was the dog owner that was to blame and not the dog but I have a personal experience that proves otherwise to me.
    I took home a tiny cute pit bull puppy years ago. It was the cutest sweetest dog EVER. I loved that dog. He is still my favorite dog (personality wise) that I ever had. He was so loving.
    I socialized the dog--took him everywhere. Around dogs, kids, cats etc etc. He was neutered.
    I was exceptionally conscientious.

At about 2 years old, he started getting aggressive with other dogs. Dangerously so.

Next, he started biting. Strangers at first. Then, my mother.

As I had tiny babies in the house, I felt I was forced to rehome him. It broke my heart but I just couldn't trust him-- and my whole family was insistent!! It wasn't worth the risk with my children. (Thankfully, he ended up well off-- living with a dog trainer who had no children and competing in agility contests)

At the same time as this pit bull, I had a standard poodle. (I know, it's a hilarious combination.) The dogs were raised together. Same environment, same socialization. Same alpha dog (me).

The poodle never got aggressive. The poodle never bit anyone.

I conclude that pit bulls have an innate tendency toward aggression. And when they are aggressive, they are incredibly dangerous due to the terrier "locking" of the jaws and the HUGE amount of pressure they exert with those massive jaws. They can do a LOT of damage quickly.

Now, I avoid pit bulls. They are a bit unpredictable and I am risk averse.

I was a responsible owner. I never hurt my dog or mistreated him. I never let him act aggressively. I socialized him. He was so loved that he slept in the middle of the bed!!
    I am not saying that they can't be worked with because they can. The man who took my pit bull was able to work with him. But I now believe that they are "too much dog" for the average person. They do have aggressive instincts or genes or whatever.

Also, they do tend to attract the irresponsible owner who does mistreat them and that just makes the whole situation worse. And so many of them are fought/hurt/mistreated, that I wish there was a ban on them for that reason alone. For their protection, I mean.
    Poor dogs don't deserve the life they usually end up with.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast