Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Summer Visit - Need Advice

Default Next Summer Visit - Need Advice

Hello everyone,

Ok so my wife and I are thinking that before we move to New Zealand, we had better be sure. So, we will be taking a 10-14 day trip next summer. Probably from Dec. 22-January 2.

My only real feelings about this trip is that I want to drive a car since it is just the two of us, and I want to spend Christmas on a quiet beach having one of the fabled Christmas Day Beach Barbeque's. Also, my wife would like to be in Auckland during the New Year celebration because she fancies fireworks a good deal. I would love to see the more tranquil and beautiful side of New Zealand, but I was also looking at driving times, and I quickly realized I will not be able to do everything (Sadly)!

Also, I also want to hunt for a job, though we probably won't be trying to move til the following December, but I'm just trying to get a running start. Because the way my contract is set up in Korea I have to sign up for a year at a time.

So does anyone have any ideas for us? Whether its the best beach or how you did it or making contacts for work opportunities. I am all ears!

The only idea I have is a question - is there any possible way you can stay for longer? 10-14 days doesn't sound like enough time!

We did a motor tour of both islands over 6 weeks (4 weeks south, 2 weeks north) so if you already have a fair idea of the sort of area you'd like to live in (town vs rural, city vs town, Auckland vs anywhere else etc) then that might help narrow it down for you? Definitely spend a few days in each place that you'd like to visit, otherwise it becomes a blur of driving and you don't get to enjoy much.

I would probably stick to just North Island on that timescale, I'm sure someone who lives there can give you a good idea of where to spend Christmas/New Year. Have a great trip!

Just a few thoughts. Hunting for a job between 22 Dec and 2 Jan will be nigh impossible. Everything is closed during that period as everyone else in NZ goes to the bach for their Xmas bbq's.

To get a real feel for NZ, you might consider visiting in winter as well as summer. Winter is the deal breaker as far as weather goes, and things here are more often wintry than summery.

Depending on what your profession is, you may only have realistic job opportunities in Auckland, Wellington and perhaps Christchurch, so if you're looking to get a good picture of day-to-day life as a NZ resident, you might spend your time in the major towns. OTOH, the scenic stuff is usually outside town, so there is a balance to strike.

Katieben

Unfortunately my contract in Korea only alots for two weeks of vacation, because the children must be taught by someone, and that someone is me. Trust me I feel I am doing New Zealand quite an injustice, but it's all we got

That being said when I was trying to figure out what the heck to do, I was worried about just driving the whole time and not being able to take it in. I am fairly confident that I would just fly into Wellington and skip Auckland, because I don't want to come to New Zealand for a huge city. We want to come for more of the relaxed approach (relaxed as opposed to the states). We are interested in Wellington and Christchurch and if it were possible even Southland.

Sweatpea

I feel dumb for not thinking about that, but we are very limited to what time we can go and it just happens that that is the week we are stuck with. That being said I didn't think I would come home with work, just maybe some ideas of where to apply and maybe a running start.

Also, I couldn't agree with you more I'm not going to be in tourist mode the whole time, because it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of whats to come. I agree that there needs to be a healthy median of city and scenery!

My degree is in Business Management, so its not like its the hottest one out there. Do you think I will have a hard time finding work outside of Auckland?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Really, you'll get nowhere at that time in terms of even talking to anyone. Go, enjoy the holiday, but forget the job hunt at that time.

On the subject of avoiding Auckland, do be sure you're not doing yourself a disservice by writing it off on the basis of assumptions. It isn't like any other 'big city' I've come across, and the so-called city includes vast areas that are anything but built-up rushing streets. Here's a link to another thread where I talked about it. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-28037.html

And another one started by me where plenty of people were kind enough to comment.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....orgot+auckland

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    On the subject of avoiding Auckland, do be sure you're not doing yourself a disservice by writing it off on the basis of assumptions. It isn't like any other 'big city' I've come across, and the so-called city includes vast areas that are anything but built-up rushing streets. Here's a link to another thread where I talked about it. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-28037.html
    You have a very valid point Jandm, but its just that right now I am in South Korea and there are so many people here for such a small land, and I just came from Detroit which was just endless suburbs, though not as big as Auckland. And I just don't want to deal with traffic if possible. My drive in Detroit was an hour a day, and all in traffic! And thats what I want to be rid of, just the craziness. I want to be able to goto a beach where I am only joined by a few people, and maybe even purchase a house one day.

Now please understand if I found a job in Auckland I would take it and run. But if I had a choice just based on my very limited knowledge I would take Wellington or Christchurch. Though I don't think I will be able to just cross Auckland off of the list, because my wife loves fireworks and shes being dying to be in the first big city that celebrates New Years.

Duncan - Yeah I agree that this trip will be mainly reconnaissance and pleasure. Where did you end up settling?

So as someone that wants to have some peace and quiet, doesn't do restaurants, bars, theatre, but does do long cycle rides and long jogs through the countryside
    I echo your thoughts and wondered if you were able to find your peace.

Well I hope that I'll be finding that in Tauranga. That's the plan and sounds like it ticks all the boxes.

Best of luck to you and thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast