Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about how much it costs to visit a doctor (GP) in NZ

I guess we're lucky here in Hastings because our PHO prices are:

Under 6: free
    6 and up: $16

Thumbs up Lake Taupo PHO

Covers Taupo, Turangi and Mangakino.

Taupo Health Centre, Taupo Medical Centre, Lake Surgery, Pihanga Health, Town Centre (Turangi), Mangakino Health.
    Under 6 - FREE
    Age 6 - 17 - $10.50
    Over 18 - $16

great post jojo. this is one of the things that i was worrying about when trying to figure out costings. We tend to take our nhs for granted in the uk and forget others are not as lucky as we are.

Hubby went yesterday to the GP and then to get some bloodwork done for MA and it was $15 total. Cheap!

The cost for ours in Devonport are:

Under 6 yrs $23.00
    6-17 yrs $42.00
    18-24 yrs $42.00
    25-44 yrs $46.00
    45-64 yrs $47.00
    65+ yrs $42.00

Although I've only been the once for myself since we arrived almost 2 years ago so the actual charge doesn't really bother me!

Incidentally there are other ways to bring the costs down as well. If you work for some businesses then you can join the Marram Trust who will subsidise a portion of your GP (and other medical) charges: http://www.marram.co.nz/member-organisations.aspx

Done Student visa or temporary visa Medical in India.

cost:approx 160 NZ$

Woo hoo! We have the lowest prices yet! But I shopped around--there are several clinics in our area and I sussed out the least expensive (I am so cheap but pennies make dollars, after all)
    We are in ChCh

Enrolled Adults over 18 years
    $15.00

Enrolled Children 6 - 17 years
    $10.00

Enrolled Children under 6 years
    free

Not sure yet how much mine are (just about to send off the enrolment forms), but as well as the financial reasons stated earlier in the thread, there is another very good reason for enrolling with a Doctor as soon as possible. As I discovered today, you don't want, when you have to visit a Doctor in a hurry (not a life threatening hospital type emergency, but certainly something that couldn't wait!), to have to spend quite a while when emotional and stressed looking through all the different websites, trying to find the GP closest to you (very important if you are reliant on public transport/walking), and then keep your fingers crossed that they have room for you!

So don't be a procrastinator like me! (I had to go to the walk in centre in the end - $83 )

Sorry for your financial pain, and hope you soon feel better from whatever the ailment is.

Thanks It isn't as though we didn't know that NZ charged, so I have no-one to blame but myself (and possibly my good fortune that so far I have not had any serious medical issues, which lead me to being really rather complacent!)

The walk-in doctor was fantastic, though, and the prescription has already started working, so I can't fault him there! (and one big plus of the higher price - the only people there were those suffering from a genuine emergency - there were three of us, and no-one had nasty snuffles or colds for me to pick up!)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast