Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about how much it costs to visit a doctor (GP) in NZ

Hubby had to have blood tests today, but it's linked to an ACC number from 3 months ago when they screwed up completely and so it's free. Yes, he's still suffering from the original screw-up but at least they're putting it right, for free. As they should!

Great post Jo Jo!

One thing I like about the doctors here compared with the UK is availability of appointments - I can usually get to see the doctor I want to see at a time to suit me within a day or two. If I want an appointment the same day, it's not normally a problem as long as i'm not fussy about which doctor I want to see. Oh and they do late night openings, great for those people that work office hours!

Our doctors rates in Papamoa (Bay of Plenty) are the same as those quoted in the OP.

Well had my first experience with the medical system today, son got hit on the hand whilst playing hockey at school. We got in to see Dr straight away, and then a trip to get an xray. Cost $30 for the consultation but given it was at school all other costs will be covered 1, because he is under 18, and 2, ACC. The whole experience was trouble free and excellent.

Thing is, I will be having another experience tomorrow, I have to visit, and this will be the first time I have been to the Dr's in nearly 7 years, and that was only to do the initial medical to register when I left the Royal Navy. I have an infection of some sort in my finger, and given that it is turning green I thought I better pay them a visit......

kejktfc

Ouch! Hope your son's hand isn't too badly hurt (we've had two broken hands so far this season in our club...), and that your infection isn't too serious!

I think we have the lowest prices of all at our local one
    It costs nothing to register it as you PHO (other places i've looked at charge $30 every quarter year)
    Children under 6 Free
    Adults $10
    I actually didn't look at the other prices because that was enough to know that its worthwhile.

I registered and saw a doctor less than an hour later.

Prices in Wellington are about what the OP posted but we get between 50% and 75% back through our laughably cheap medical insurance. We've been several times and I haven't had to pay more than $20-30 for all the treatments including scans, bloods, and x-rays. Like the other posts I cannot fault the health system here except some of the procedures and equipment is a little dated ( afew years dated not medieval!)

I would echo what others have said here about registering asap, you can't (at least here where I live in Wellington) just go to your nearest doctor and register. Not all medical centres have spaces for new patients, my 3 nearest ones were all full but fortunately we have been accepted by the fourth one I tried.

But how do you register? Can you already register when you are still in an other country and moving to new zealand?

There are links to information about how to enrol in the paragraph under the list of prices in my first post. As far as I know, you won't be able to register until you are in NZ.

I just called up medical centres in the area and asked if they were taking new patients. When I found one which was I had to go in and take my passport with visa and fill in forms. All very simple, they just needed name, address, date of birth.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast