Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: Information about how much it costs to visit a doctor (GP) in NZ

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Yes I've talked to the teacher council and the NZQA and they have both said, my high school qualification will help me land a high school job because of the course but I am still considered a primary/junior teacher for assessment purposes. But they said it's no problem to teach high school with a primary degree because once you are a recognized teacher you are free to go where you want.

    This whole process is so overwhelming. I think the best thing to do for now is get my visitors visa and do my whole NZQA thing in October, hopefully I get it back before I leave in Feb. Then once I am in NZ, I will contact teacher recruiting agencies and get them to help me with the whole process, find a job slowly even if it's just supply work, and then apply for a work permit.

    My kids will be so young that the cost of childcare and what I'd earn as a first year teacher would be the same probably. But I would like to get a work permit once at least one of them is eligible for early childhood education or kindergarten or some type of subsidized care.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,513

    Default

    This whole process is so overwhelming.
    Everybody feels this way. Yours sounds like a good plan - one step at a time.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Wow, this will all be very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post it!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Papakura, NZ, waiting for PR
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Aaaaaaargh!!! Last month my 4 year old had croup and had to be taken to hospital. They decided to keep her overnight for observation. Yesterday I received the bill: $474.32! And I've already paid $60 for the ambulance! Help!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anneke7 View Post
    Aaaaaaargh!!! Last month my 4 year old had croup and had to be taken to hospital. They decided to keep her overnight for observation. Yesterday I received the bill: $474.32! And I've already paid $60 for the ambulance! Help!
    That is really reasonable for an overnight stay in hospital.

    I have had bigger bills for lab work in a routine office visit in the US (with insurance--this was out of pocket expense).

    If you are having trouble paying it, maybe they will let you pay it out in installments?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    211

    Question

    My hubby went to see his GP due to recurring throat/sinus infections, and the GP told him to have a sinus Xray done after the antibiotics had kicked in. The referral was for a private Xray clinic, and I asked my hubby why it was for a private clinic instead of the public system. He said the doctor had given him the names of two private clinics and to choose between them the one that was the easiest for him. Hubby had asked why he was referred to a privated clinic and was told that "community referrals are only for people who can't afford to pay". We know that community referrals are for people with no means of paying the normal subsidised fees, and assumed that the Xray would be a normal subsidised one with us having to pay for a small part of it, but it turned out that the Xray was charged in full and cost us almost 150 dollars. When we contacted the medical centre we're registered with, they just said that the referral was a private one and nothing can be done regarding the cost. We have tried to inquire why they didn't refer him to the local hospital for his Xrays, but got no explanation.

    I was under the impression that if the GP we're regstered with sends us for Xrays or further treatment, that would be done first and foremost within the public system and that it would be at least partly subsidised. Hubby wasn't even offered a possibility of getting an Xray done through the public system, not even after he asked why he was referred to a private clinic. We have PR and are entitled to public healthcare, and this information is in the medical center's records along with copies of our visas. Am I completely wrong in believing that the GP should have at least given us the chance to choose between public and private healthcare?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mgee View Post
    I was under the impression that if the GP we're regstered with sends us for Xrays or further treatment, that would be done first and foremost within the public system and that it would be at least partly subsidised. Hubby wasn't even offered a possibility of getting an Xray done through the public system, not even after he asked why he was referred to a private clinic. We have PR and are entitled to public healthcare, and this information is in the medical center's records along with copies of our visas. Am I completely wrong in believing that the GP should have at least given us the chance to choose between public and private healthcare?
    Without going into personal details, we've had a similar experience ourselves in Auckland a couple of years ago.

    We've also found that in many cases there is often *some* need for self diagnosis within the NZ healthcare system in order to get the appropriate treatment without spending a fortune seeing one medical person after another. In my OH's case he needed to see a specialist and asked the GP to refer to the most appropriate person. He was told that all of the specialists were private in this area and to pick one from the yellow pages and make an appointment. Well, this was quite a shock when coming from the UK NHS where you can't see a specialist without a GP referral so we checked with another GP (at another practice) only to be told the same thing. Cost us $$$

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chch, NZ
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    Am I completely wrong in believing that the GP should have at least given us the chance to choose between public and private healthcare?
    A lot of this has to do with available and waiting list for the care. NZ's healthcare system is unique and it has flaws. If I was in your situation, my preference would be to go to a private clinic because the public ones already run at poor service of care. When you have both private and public competing side by side, what happens is those that are able to pay will get the better service while those that can't pay, will end up waiting in the queue longer with (a more likely) poor service at the end.

    Your GP probably had the chance to refer to you a public free clinic, but then you may of had to wait longer for the service?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    A lot of this has to do with available and waiting list for the care. NZ's healthcare system is unique and it has flaws. If I was in your situation, my preference would be to go to a private clinic because the public ones already run at poor service of care. When you have both private and public competing side by side, what happens is those that are able to pay will get the better service while those that can't pay, will end up waiting in the queue longer with (a more likely) poor service at the end.

    Your GP probably had the chance to refer to you a public free clinic, but then you may of had to wait longer for the service?
    That's the same situation everywhere in the world -private is always quicker and often of higher quality but costs a lot more. In hubby's case, the Xray wasn't urgent: he was told to go there whenever it suited him after the antibiotics had kicked in, so he could have waited for the public appointment.

    Maybe I wasn't clear about what irks us: it's the fact that the doctor NEVER even acknowledged that using the public system would be an option in his case. In case of having to wait for weeks for something urgent, we'd probably have said that we'd go private anyway, but not even offering the public option is not right. As we pay a shedload of taxes each year, I expect to get something in return too.

    And by public healthcare I don't refer the free clinics for the underpriviledged people, just a referral to the local hospital. I'm happy to pay part of the treatment but would like to be given the choice too.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    IND-AUS-NZ-AUS
    Posts
    536

    Default Great info

    Great info -thanks a lot for creating this post.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •