Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will he be referred to medical assessor?

I would disagree that every medical check is the same. They have the same instructions and forms, but it's up to the doctor how they actually perform and interpret it. The same circus but different tickets.

Some of the questions are in the form "Have you ever had a headache in your life?" and in some countries they may do preventive healthcare and give you a major operation to avoid headache for good. The form doesn't take this in the account, perhaps because such a preventive health care doesn't exist in NZ yet, and this can result abnormal findings.

I wouldn't be worried about medical advisor unless something serious was found. Think it a super health check that's for your own good. Half of the kiwi population would result abnormal findings.

The doctor should have written the reason for the abnormal finding in the form in any case?

I take in what you're saying. However, what I was answering when I said, 'Everybody's medicals are the same,' was the OP's comment, 'I guess I'm hoping that they will be slightly more lenient given that we are not (yet) applying to be there permanently.' There aren't different instructions for doctors to follow, dependent on which visa an applicant is up for.

Petri, yes he wrote "BMI=33, Height=191cm, Waist>104". In my mild panic, guess I originally misunderstood the doctor's role, thinking that he should have ticked no significant findings, given that the follow-up tests were normal. However, I now understand that he has to give that as a summary, and then its NZIS opinion on whether that's something that has to be investigated further.

I wasn't hoping for the doctor to be more lenient - rather that NZIS would be not too worried about it given that he'd have to 'resit' his medical anyway when/if we apply for PR.

I just have to sit tight, wait for contact from NZIS and keep nagging the OH.

Quote Originally Posted by RachieRoo View Post
    Petri, yes he wrote "BMI=33, Height=191cm, Waist>104".
    Ok, you got your abnormal tick for BMI and waist.

The medical examiner's handbook basicly gives a list of items that needs to be ok for "normal" tick and if there's anything that doesn't match, it's "abnormal". Regular medication is enough for "abnormal".

We got the work visa (if you didn't see my other post) and so obviously they didn't feel it was necessary to go to an MA for this case. Will be working on the biscuit fiend so that if we want to apply for PR its not an issue (and of course for general health purposes). Thanks for the advice!

good news and bye bye to MA referrals, happy for you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12