Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will he be referred to medical assessor?

Default Will he be referred to medical assessor?

Sorry if this question has been asked in one form or another before...

Me and my partner are applying for NZ Work Visa based upon a job offer (me) and OH based on our partnership.

We had our medicals done, and mine came back with nothing significant. (In fact I think the word 'unremarkable was used - I beg to differ!)

OH BMI is 33.0 and Waist is >104 and so he had fasting blood and lipid tests, which came back normal. However, the doctor has ticked the box with 'significant/abnormal findings' which in the notes underneath says that this is something that should be referred to a medical assessor. So the significant finding can only be his BMI and waist measurement, given everything else is normal.

My questions are:
    Should the doctor have ticked this box given that bloods came back normal? (I presume so)
    Will NZ immigration refer this to a medical assessor (which I gather can be a fairly lengthy process) given that the follow-up tests have already been done?
    Do you think this will affect his chances of getting a Work visa?

(He is already under strict instructions to give up the biscuits)

Depends on country to country. When my OH got her medicals in Singapore, her assessment was ticked as abnormal as well (possibly due to the mental relativity of high waist), her BMI was just over 35 at that time.

Later on, we didn't bother to keep track of BMI until we were asked to provided latest Medical assessment for my OH and her BMI jumped to 39.8...eventually after buying 3-4 months time and working hard at gym, we were able to get BMI under 34 and Medical was cleared.

I think NZIS goes by guidelines given to them, I was always reminded of BMI < 35 whenever I contacted with regards to the BMI value.

I don't think anyone in this forum can guarantee of the outcome but as that's what you have at the moment, submit the results and work out on reducing waistline in the meantime.

If medicals are referred based on waistline and you get it to normal levels by then, it will reduce the turnaround time.

All the best with your application.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I had read your thread about your wife and was majorly impressed by her weight loss. Did you apply for PR or a more temporary route? I guess I'm hoping that they will be slightly more lenient given that we are not (yet) applying to be there permanently. The plan is definitely to lose weight (for both of us) and we want to take full advantage of the outdoor life that NZ can offer. I just doubt that he can lose 12cm off his belly in 10 weeks (when we are planning to go). I guess we just have to start now, and pay for some quick lipo if it doesn't work in time!

It is a bit unfair considering that everything else shows him to be healthy and being 6'4" means your belly is going to be a bit bigger (although the biscuits help on that front as well!)

Everybody's medicals are the same, I'm afraid, with the same rules. 'Fair' doesn't come into it - there's a system that they apply, and we all get put through it.

I agree about to what to do now.

We applied for PR, hence was more dedicated in our efforts.

I assume that you are intending to stay in NZ for over 12 months? Ages ago my WP was applied for just 6 months and I still submitted medicals (out of my own foolish habit to provide too much of info) but later someone enlightened me and said that Full medicals are only required if you intend to stay more than 12 months. If you intend to work in NZ for 6-12 months then a temporary one would suffice.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...INT=Guest#work

All the best, nothing is impossible, just give your try.

Yeah we are applying for more than 12 months... I guess if its a deal breaker then they might give him a more temporary visa and he have to apply for another one before the time is up, by which time he should have a vastly reduced waistline.

JandM - I agree with you and I understand they can't reward you for possible future effort! I was just really curious on how they treat on a case by case basis.

For once I'm glad I've got a big bum!

I have answered at least questions 1 and 2 of above by reading this, if it helps anyone else...
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Fingers crossed for number 3.

For once I'm glad I've got a big bum!
    Eh? Sorry, don't get this...

Sorry... fat on your bum and hips is less of a risk than fat on your tummy.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8451674.stm

Oh, I see - I was tuned in on NZ medicals, and couldn't think how a big bum would be an advantage for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast