Thread: wildlife management jobs where to look?

Default where to look?

Ok I've been here 5 months now and am still loving the place. So much that I don't see myself returning to Europe soon. But there is a little twitch. I have to admit that it's not always very easy being here all by myself. I meet loads of people and all, but I do miss a good friend or relative. I guess it all still has to develop itself, it's only been 5 months after all, but still. And when I meet people who become friends, they just dissapear after a while and go back to where they come from. And I'm not talking about just travellers, it's people that have been living here for a while and decide to go back. I really have the impression that people just come and go all the time.
    Anyway, I just wanted to know if any of you would know where to look for wildlife management jobs or something similar. I've browsed the main nz job websites, but no such category or something even similar. Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks

Probably stating the obvious here but have you tried the local D.O.C office?

Don't know that much about them but I remember seeing a TV prog about some DOC officers managing the wildlife on Stuart island. And hubbys cousin got a job counting the mice population on Kapati Island. Can you imagine that. Firstly I wouldn't have thought there were that many mice on Kapati, and secondly ..... why bother counting them?

Hhmmmm - strange but true.

Diny

Hey Diny, yes I've looked but they're not very keen on hiring from overseas. You already need to be a nz resident or at least have a work permit

Hi Feeble,
    I know it's not exactly in your area, and it may not be exactly what you're looking for. I've probably misunderstood, but have a look here......................

It's an interesting concept

http://whareatea.org.nz/index.htm

John

Bubbles, it may not be in the area but that's exactly the thing I'm looking for. Cheers

Keep it coming people :mrgreen:

And hubbys cousin got a job counting the mice population on Kapati Island.
    I could do that

I don't mind coming out to keep you company if you pay my airfare. I'm sure my husband won't mind looking after the kids etc

What about getting a dog or would it be on its own all day? I find if you have a dog with you everyone wants to talk to you. You soon make friends.

Good luck

wont u be struggling to get any job without a work permit???

Thanks a lot.
    Well I'm already here on a permit and the way I see things here is that if she comes down here and she manages to find a job in that field, she should get a permit in no time.
    Being overseas is the big obstacle really.