Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruiter wisdoms... how serious?

Default Recruiter wisdoms... how serious?

I just got a phone call from a recruitment agency specialized in Social Work (only one in NZ as far as I know and supposedly very reputable) after inquiry. I was told that although there might be opportunities, they would not be able to start the process until confirmed PR (we hope to have the CO interview in the next four weeks). I understand this because putting forward candidates without visa could cause problems for everyone involved (but wouldn't it be lovely NZ gvt would back-up the luring adds).

They also "warned" me not to "go out" and apply to organizations "on my own" because employers would not consider failed applicants for future positions?! Now that struck me as odd. Doors quickly shut for us by employers recruitment practices like this. I do not know what to think of this. We have been shooting some CV's up in the past. I had my hopes up before due to the real shortage of qualified social workers (NZQA BSW level 7 in my pocket) Does anyone have experiences or thoughts?

Cheers,
    Last edited by 4togo; 1st February 2010 at 12:27 PM.

I reckon they are stringing you a line, there's nothing to stop you applying to every one of the 21 District Health Boards off your own back. Clearly as the one and only recruitment agent they stand to lose business and placement fees if you find a job for yourself. Apply directly or at least register your interest with the DHBs in the area(s) where you are considering living, if they don't have vacancies at present, at least they will know to call you when they do.

Good luck!!

Just bumping'r up a bit in the hope to pull some response. I can't believe there would be no forumites out there that have some wisdom to share on this.

Please?

No knowledge of Social work, but I'd treat anything from recruitment agencies with slightly less belief than if spoken by an estate agent.

Clearly in this case what you are being told is of benefit to the agent ("don't try to apply yourself, use me only") as they then guarantee the fee if you follow their advice. This makes me even more skeptical.

Not to say that it's definitely totally without foundation, but I'd certianly want to check it out to be sure. Are there any specific NZ Social worker discussion forums you can join to discuss with people already working in NZ (Yahoo groups, etc)?

I agree - they're stringing you along. There are too many social work opportunities in NZ for one agency to be handling all of them, and how would the different helath boards know if you'd applied widely off your own back? Surely that's the sort of thing they'd expect a newly qualified social worker to do, let alone an immigrant?

Have a look here for ads:
    http://www.cyf.govt.nz/about-us/vacancies/index.html
    https://jobs.govt.nz/

In the UK we have a few exhibitions now and then, usually recruiting for health/community staff. I have no idea if they also exist in Canada, but people often go without job offers and employers (as well as agencies) can talk to candidates direct.

I think the same as the other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    No knowledge of Social work, but I'd treat anything from recruitment agencies with slightly less belief than if spoken by an estate agent.

Clearly in this case what you are being told is of benefit to the agent ("don't try to apply yourself, use me only") as they then guarantee the fee if you follow their advice. This makes me even more skeptical.

Not to say that it's definitely totally without foundation, but I'd certianly want to check it out to be sure. Are there any specific NZ Social worker discussion forums you can join to discuss with people already working in NZ (Yahoo groups, etc)?
    I'd have to agree with Duncan (as I often do!).

I am self employed but my OH has been closely working with them for 5 years. She has been fed more lies, BS and nonsense in that time than she could begin to recall.

She actually used to work as a recruiter in London some years ago and she says that firstly there are about twice as many here as there needs to be and secondly that they are so unprofessional most of them would last about 10 minutes in London!

Sometimes they are the only choice - but use a big pinch of salt when listening to them! Her favourites are:

1) If they say it is "urgent" you can rest assured that in 99 cases out of 100 it is no such thing and you still won't have heard back in 3 weeks time!

2) If they tell you that you are a dead cert for the role - again, 99 times out of 100 they are lying.

She had one only last week where she was told that they would want to sign her up on Friday after second interview if it went well and was she able to commit if the deal could be done, and there will be paperwork there ready to be signed etc etc.

Come Friday, the interview was moved (both temporally and geographically) twice on the actual day it was supposed to happen, but went very well. However no paperwork was ready, there was no evidence of any wish to sign up - and they announced that they were seeing another candidate 'next week' which the recruiter had failed to mention at all....!

So remember to take the salt bucket...!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    1) If they say it is "urgent" you can rest assured that in 99 cases out of 100 it is no such thing and you still won't have heard back in 3 weeks time!

2) If they tell you that you are a dead cert for the role - again, 99 times out of 100 they are lying.
    Agreed. I used to work in recruitment (in Sydney) and in many ways it's quite a soulless job. Recruiters are sales people who sell... people, and their skills. That's pretty much what it boils down to, and in a recession it becomes so even more because their salary/commission is at stake. Whatever it takes to get a sale... I mean placement *cough*
    Last edited by sophiedb; 3rd February 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Default Social Work Recruitment

I had contact with this Social Work Recruitment Agency (yes it is the only one I have searched high and low for others but none exist) once my Residence Visa was granted. They also wanted me to sign a sole agent contract pay a £195 admin fee and not look for work independently which also rang a few alarm bells for me. The Agents cannot be paid a finders fee is you have previously made contact with the employer so this is why they try and deter you from doing so. I have now been in New Zealand 3 weeks looking for a Social Work position, I applied for several jobs from the UK but was only shortlisted once when I stated the date I would be arriving in NZ. Don't bother with the recruitment agent you don't need them, the best place to look for Social Work positions is SEEK or the District Health Board web sites. After been in NZ for a few weeks I can see the skills shortage in Social Work is firstly in Children & Families, then Mental Health and Substance Misuse. I work in adults and there are not that many positions available in the cities but some in a more remote areas.

Thanks very much for the update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast