Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity!

Default Humidity!

Apart from yesterday the last week or so has been really sticky hot- draining and not terribly pleasant. The humidity (according to met site) was often above 85% but the temperature was rarely above 25. Yesterday was 26 degrees with 57% humidity and was PERFECT.

Funny thing is some people prefer dry heat and others prefer it more humid- I loved Hawkes Bay heat because it is mostly a fairly dry heat. Today it is already 67% humidity but despite being so far only 21 degrees it feels hotter to me than yesterday.

What's it like where you are? Do you prefer a little humidity or a dry heat?

Hey there,

Dry heat...hands down. I have been exposed to both, dry heat and the three H's...hazy, hot and humid. Humid heat can be unbearable, draining and down right sticky. The air feels heavier. However, dry heat is adaptable and feels more comfortable, not as sticky.

Here in Christchurch, it is not as bad humidity wise. Some days are more humid than others but not bad overall. Now, it is beautiful and sunny outside.

15-20C, 50-60% RH, and light winds would be my type of climate

According to the metservice website, Christchurch is currently 18.5C, 61% RH, light winds (13km/hr). Almost perfect
    Last edited by KelvinAng; 4th February 2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo, added wind requirement to my perfect weather description :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    .... Yesterday was 26 degrees with 57% humidity and was PERFECT.
    with that wheater conditions, for me it looks like a paradise... ... the problem would be get a job there

Dry heat for me, it doesn't play up with the arthritis.

Personally humidity levels in Christchurch could be more dry. Especially in the winter months. But that's expected when living along the coastline.

Actually i'm convinced that NZ's humid climate is a contributing factor of why so many timber framed houses are rotting away. Current standard requires treated timber framing for the exterior of the home. The other question is to believe that older houses are inferior in design (circa 1980s - 2005)? We're still seeing more and more houses built during that era experiencing wood rot. Though, homes built throughout the 50s, 60s & 70s appear to be non-existent to rot because of their air draftiness to control condensation.

quote:, Though, homes built throughout the 50s, 60s & 70s appear to be non-existent to rot because of their air draftiness to control condensation.unquote;
    Also, treated timber was always used, then it was outlawed, one of the craziest laws they passed, all to suit the greenies, plenty are paying the price now, so 'they' now have decided to allow treated timber, ho, hum.

dry heat for sure...no one likes to be sticky I reckon. Unless some extraordinary people.

I love the dryer heat here in Canterbury having living with the humidity in Auckland. On the whole is doesn't feel as warm down here at the same temperatures, apart from when in direct sunlight. Also I can now get all of my washing dry on the line, even on an overcast day

I love the humidity. I pretend I'm in Bali. Especially with the cicada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast