Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collecting dogs and crates from Auckland

Default Collecting dogs and crates from Auckland

Our dogs and cat are arriving on sat morning in Auckland. Due to the large proportions of one of them, we can't fly them to wellington so will have to fly to auckland and then hire a large car to drive them back here. The crates are too large to go in the car too so we are trying to get them collected from the airport. Does anyone know where they would need to be collected from to tell the delivery company? Anyone with recent experience of collecting dogs/cat want to share any advice about the procedures of where to go and how much cash to take? I did find some threads about this but any recent experiences would be much appreciated.
    What a long day saturday is going to be...

Is this one of the threads you found? http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26779 This is the most recent mention of this that I remember.

Yes, a long day, but what a reward you'll have for making the trip.

Its not just as simple as collection there is documentation to complete and if i am not mistaken, and if i am someone will correct me, but it has to be the owner of the animal. I know we went to the animal collection centre first to complete documentation and show the the copy of the docs that were provided to us by the shippers complete with BL numbers and then we had to go to the MAF building about 2 km away to complete docs there and then we had to go back to the collection point and hand over the docs from MAF and then we had to go around the side of the building where the crate was taken to and our dog was let out and we put him on the lead and put him in the car and off we went. It was about $70 all told. They kept the crate for disposal we didnt need or want it. He was shell shocked poor mite and it did take him at least 10 days to be anything like normal........after 12 months he is one happy little bunny and no worse for wear.

If you talk to your shippers they will advise you what you need to do.........our shippers provided us with a phone number to call and a name to discuss the process and she confirmed that he had arrived safely and she advised us about the what we needed to do.

Hope this helps and good luck

Default Pets

Have you checked with your pet shipping company. We had our cats flown from Aukland to Napier where they were collected from. The pet courier firms can arrange for them to be flown on to Wellington and collected from there. My cats where cleared by MAF at Aukland and no probs getting them from Napier. Just trying to deal with two cats in their crates going nuts when they heard my voice and a very noisy drive back from Napier to Taupo with one of them howling all the way. Have a chat again with your pet company. Im sure they will arrange onwards flights for them both.

Thanks for all the information! Sounds slightly chaotic, bit like our process of getting here in the first place. It would be so good if we could get them flown down to Wellington but unfortunately the crate for the big dog is just too tall to fit in the small planes coming down to Wellington!

If your original plan was to fly up and hire a car to bring them back does your dog need to be in a crate or can he just sit on the back seat on a blanket. It may save you hassle in the long run and he will be sleepy anyway so probably just happy to see you and zonk out while you drive back. Just a thought........

Back from Auckland with the dogs and cat. Here are some thoughts about collecting dogs and cats which may be of use to other people. When they arrived we had to collect them from the Cargo Depot, they were cleared first by MAF and we had to pay $117.97 dollars for the three animals which included the clearance fees, destruction of bedding, and facility fee. We were then sent over to the customs office in the international terminal to fill in a couple of forms. Back at the cargo depot the animals were then released by Air NZ and we paid another fee of $33.75. We were able to finally claim them and let them out of the crates 3 hours after the plane landed! Then it was a long journey back to Wellington in a hire car. Normally pets can get flown on from AKL but the crate one of my dogs needed was too big. We had the cat in the crate still and the dogs in the boot, lovely stop on Lake Taupo to let them swim a bit. They were all fine throughout the journey but one of them had really found it too much by the time we finally got here and we ended up taking him to the after hours vet here as he just wasn’t right all of a sudden, obviously in pain as he was unable to lie down. He had a good check over and the vet gave him a painkiller and he was fine the next day after a day of rice and a good long sleep! I would like to emphasise here that if dogs seem at all unwell it is very important to take them to the vets immediately as they can get gastric bloat which can be very dangerous. It is definitely worth finding out where the nearest vet is before you need to call one! I can also imagine it must be quite difficult if your animals arrive on the same plane as you! All three of them are eating well again now and definitely seem to be back to normal. We used Golden Arrow in the UK who were very good, they dealt with medical problems which arose very professionally and were very caring towards our animals. I would definitely recommend them, even if it means a long drive. We took them down there from Scotland. Price-wise they were also the most competitive and the most straightforward regarding blood tests etc.
    We are getting the dog crates shipped down to Wellington with a company called Go-Fetch, the cargo people told us that the ones abandoned at the airport get sold, so if you are ever looking to move pets out of NZ this may be a cheap way of getting a crate. Ours were very solid and extremely well-made and the cat one is making a good small table in our unfurnished house right now!

Thanks for taking the trouble to post this. So pleased to hear your animals are all okay. I'll bet they were pleased to see you, and each other.

thats great you got them all! i will defo look into the nearest vets when i get there. im bringing my two cats from ireland to christchurch, then going to drive up to nelson, i just really hope they will be ok for the journey, one of my cats cries all the way to the vets and thats only 10min away!!
    when you say they are put into a crate, is that a wooden box? i thought they were put into a cage that they can see out of? im still looking into shipping companies at the mo, but if there is anyone that recommenes a shipping company from ireland that would be great. im delighted it all worked out for you!

Thumbs up girlwithanf

So glad you let us know how they are doing. It does make a difference having them with you and lucky dog getting a swim in the Lake on their first day here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast