Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Goods - should I ship them?

Default White Goods - should I ship them?

Hi,

Keen to get some feedback on whether it is a good idea for us buy a new fridge, washing machine and dishwasher and include them in our container that leaves the UK in April? Or should we rather keep the money, and purchase these items when we arrive?

I have tried comparing prices and these items definitely look more expensive in NZ.........

You can't take unused items with you (or rather you'd have to pay duty on them), but you can get them in advance, use them for a short time and would be classed as household goods exempt from import duty.

General advice seems to be to take with you, although factor in the price of shipping and insurance if it may make the difference between a 20' and a 40' container.

The plan is to buy, unwrap, switch on to make sure they are working - then let the removal company pack them. We will have sole use of a 20ft container, and these items have been included in the quote price.......

So you think it is a good idea? Im not planning on buying state of the art white goods - probably Hotpoint products. I could probably buy all 3 of these items for around £1,000. From what I can see, these items cost at least NZ$1,200 each in NZ.

I would however need to forfit the guarantees.

Try and buy brands with international guarantees. My Bosch washing machine died recently and fortunately it was still covered by the 2 year international warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jkhosking View Post
    Hi,

Keen to get some feedback on whether it is a good idea for us buy a new fridge, washing machine and dishwasher and include them in our container that leaves the UK in April? Or should we rather keep the money, and purchase these items when we arrive?

I have tried comparing prices and these items definitely look more expensive in NZ.........
    Its a good question, personally if you don't need them, then I wouldn't bother unless there is a particular type / model that you are looking for. For example, front loading washing machines are not as common in NZ so tend to carry a price premium, and there is a more limited choice of everything in NZ.

Several reason including that most houses in NZ seem to already have a dishwasher installed and sold with the property so you would end up with two.

Your new kitchen may have a different sized gap for the fridge than the one that you bought e.g. your fridge may be too big to fit in the kitchen. And some on the forum have found the same issue with washing machines in the laundry area.

Don't be too fooled with prices in NZ as they will often be on sale and you would be able to get a "job lot" with a good discount. Also if you buy in NZ then you will be covered by their consumer laws which effectively extend your warranties.

Also, even if you do get an international warranty then they still may not be able to get the parts so it may take a (relatively) long time to get it fixed.

If you do buy in your home country then do try to use them as much as possible before you go as appliances will normally fail early if they are going to fail. There would be nothing worse IMO to ship new to NZ and to find it not working and have to try to get it repaired.

Ian

I recently bought my white goods with me, few years old though and will replace when they die. These goods can be expensive but saying that you can haggle in the shops, I was looking yesterday for a new stove and fridge freezer, got a quote for $500 off the store and $100 off the fridge freezer - this is for a renovation at our house, my stuff hasn't died yet! However you will need the time to go around the shops and haggle.

i would say that since there is room in the container and you are shipping a whole container then yes its probably worthwhile BUT bear in mind that after the guarantee or warranty expires assuming you got an international one, because its not from New Zealand when it does eventually fail or need new part they may be difficult to source.
    Plus you have the issue of storage etc before you get yourself into your own place and possibly long term storage if it turns out that the place you move into already has one.
    And if you have to wait a long time for your container you will possibly need to rent things until it arrives, whereas if you decided to buy in NZ, you could just go and get them as soon as you are ready for them.

Washing machines and fridges are incredibly expensive here and you pay an eyewatering fortune for second hand rubbish that you'd merrily take to the tip in the UK. My vote goes for buying and shipping.

If you bring a washing machine make sure either the counter wieght is removed and/or the drum is bolted down before shipping.

Also make sure all devices with seals (fridges, washing machines) are NOT closed as this will cause mold.

Finally when you do get the fridge freezer back let it stand for at least 12 hours before switching on again!

I remember an old thread that talked about exactly how to prepare a washing machine and fridge for shipping - there was something you put inside it, that kept it sweet-smelling, but I can't remember for the moment what it was. If I can find the thread, I'll put up a link. Unless of course someone can step in and tell us?

Edited to add: I found one mention saying, 'Tea bags placed in washers, fridges etc act like those little bags of silica gel and absorb moisture.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast