Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap,mult region DVD player.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cheap,mult region DVD player.

Hi

Like most people who have spent time in many different places I have a DVD collection which spans many regions.

I'm not taking my UK DVD player with me because it was pretty cheap and to be honest I can't be without it for three months while it makes its way across the sea.

So can anyone recommend a cheap NZ DVD player which also happens to play all regions.

The last one I bought there (which unfortunatly I gave away when I last left) I got from K Mart for under $100 and although it didn't state it on the box it played everything you put in it so any great recomendations like this would be fantastic!

No idea if there are any cheap multi-region DVD players, but what you can always try is buy a cheap local player and change it to play all regions. Manufacturers only build one type of player and through some of the software can set the regions. For most you can just look up their code online and press a few buttons and sorted I have done it with 2 so far, both worked (an Alba from the UK and a Grundig bought in the Netherlands), but no idea if it always works and with every different type. Good luck!

I think all the DVD players you buy here are multi-region. Norman Ross had a basic Phillips model for around $40 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I think all the DVD players you buy here are multi-region. Norman Ross had a basic Phillips model for around $40 last year.
    Awesome! Let hope thats true. My $100 one was about 6 years ago so good to see the prices have dropped also.

Will def look in to that.

This isn't correct, you can definitely buy region coded DVD players in NZ and not always easy to convert them to multi-region.

If it doesn't say it on the box then ask the staff for a multi-region player, quite often they have a list of the codes needed behind the till - certainly the Warehouse has this.

Remember that if you ask for a multi-region player and they sell you one that isn't, then this breaks the Consumer Guarantees act and they must refund your monies.

Ian

Agreed, you should check. The last one I bought had "Region x" all over the box and I didn't notice until I got it home. I phoned the shop and they said it didn't apply to the NZ imports and sure enough there was no restriction when I tried it. The one before that came with instructions on how to make it multi-region.

Agreed, you should check. The last one I bought had "Region x" all over the box and I didn't notice until I got it home. I phoned the shop and they said it didn't apply to the NZ imports and sure enough there was no restriction when I tried it. The one before that came with instructions on how to make it multi-region.
    Just to be clear, I have purchased a DVD player in NZ and it was region coded for NZ only (4) and wouldn't play many of our region 2 DVDs (would play some).

And it wasn't a simple case of just pressing a few buttons on the remote control in sequence to unlock it (which does seem the most common way).

Ian

Not true at all, NONE of our DVDs from the US (except for my work out DVDs) work in our player we bought here. They only work in my husband's computer because he got one of those multi-regional thingys in his computer.

I think when you go to purchase one, you specifically have to ask for a multi-regional one.

Quote Originally Posted by candlelight View Post
    Not true at all, NONE of our DVDs from the US (except for my work out DVDs) work in our player we bought here. They only work in my husband's computer because he got one of those multi-regional thingys in his computer.

I think when you go to purchase one, you specifically have to ask for a multi-regional one.
    Most are easy to change to multi-region, post your make and model and I'm sure someone will tell you how to do it.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Cool. Actually it is a Sony Playstation 3. We got is because it plays Blu Ray DVD's. So, we thought we "kill two birds with one stone" so to speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast