Thread: Reclaiming UK tax

Default Reclaiming UK tax

What a crazy form!

Are you leaving the UK to work?
    is followed by "if yes, give us all the details".

I do intend to work (can't afford not to at some point!), but have no job lined up, so what do I say? Anyone???

Will you have any other source of income in the United Kingdom after you have left?
    Does that include interest from any money left behind??

Sorry if I'm being clueless
    Last edited by sophiedb; 6th February 2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: to make a teensy bit more sense...

- Say no. Whatever your intentions, you do not have a job to go to. And this won't raise any eyebrows, with you being the mother of a small child, so your case will be all the simpler to sort out.

Will you have any other source of income in the United Kingdom after you have left?
    Does that include interest from any money left behind??
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    - Say no. Whatever your intentions, you do not have a job to go to. And this won't raise any eyebrows, with you being the mother of a small child, so your case will be all the simpler to sort out.
    Ah, but hubby doesn't have that excuse

Ironically, given the number of mech eng jobs going near Chch at the mo versus admin, I might get a job before him

Okay, so he hasn't found work yet. Then, in his case, 'yes', and, as details, 'I have not found a job yet.' You can't tell them things you don't know.

My husband and I both ticked "no" to that question because we weren't leaving the UK to work, (even though we would both be working when we left).

I put "Am emigrating to New Zealand as I have married a New Zealand Citizen" as my reason for leaving the UK, and my husband put "I am a New Zealand citizen returning home".

I agree with post above. Me and Kiwi OH both ticked 'no' as neither of us had a job to go to although we both fully intend to work when we can land jobs! And I got my refund the other week by sterling cheque to my address here withough any questions or issues so think they only want you to tick 'yes' if you actually have a job set up.

As for other question re: income in UK I would like JandM tick yes but if there is a space for it write in "minimal interest from 'xxxx amount' in UK account. We ticked 'no' for this one as we left some of our money in the UK in OH's current account for easy access when we're ready to transfer it - which earns 0% interest - it's not loads of money in our case so we thought this was the easiest option for us to not get tangled up with the UK tax system and gettin our refunds using that blinkin' form!

Good luck

If you say that you are leaving the UK to work then it asks for all the details in section two.

If you can't give the details then my view is that the correct answer to their question is "no".

I also put "no" as I have no job arranged. For the income I simply wrote that I have savings and shares but didn't go into any more detail. They can ask if they need to know.

Thanks everyone