Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jobs for young teens??

Default jobs for young teens??

Was just wondering what sort of part time job opportunities there are in NZ for young teens (13+)??

As our eldest son is the one that is most reluctant about our 'big move' it would be good to know if he can expect to get some part-time work (MONEY!?!) He currently does a paper round every day and earns £18 a week. Our younger son has also just turned 13 and started a Sunday round.

Any incentives to tempt them with would be good to know!!

We are headed for the Wellington area, when we finally sell the house but thats another subject!! Price reduced again this week!!!

Thumbs up Teens

I came here with a 16 year old son (Michael)and two n bit years on he is adamant he does not want to go back to the UK. He has found heaps more opportunities here both work, school and recreational. He is now very happy to be the new bar person at the local pub while he takes time to decide what he wants to do long term. He is totally in love with the lifestyle, has his driving licence and a car and has become very accomplished at swimming in the river, the lake and the ocean in the summer and in the winter he heads off up the mountains to ski. His time at school here he adored after he adjusted to the schooling here and he has made really neat mates. And yep...the handsome lad in my piccie here is Michael.

A paper round is always worth looking into .That's if he doesn't mind going out in all weathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    A paper round is always worth looking into .That's if he doesn't mind going out in all weathers.
    ...and in Wellington all the hills! - It's flipping hard work for very little pay.

There seem to be loads of part time jobs for kids here, however the minimum age for official employment I believe is 15.

That would be right in Wellington. Hastings is FLaT.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    That would be right in Wellington. Hastings is FLaT.
    Ah but the OP said they were heading for Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    ...and in Wellington all the hills! - It's flipping hard work for very little pay.

There seem to be loads of part time jobs for kids here, however the minimum age for official employment I believe is 15.
    Actually there is no general Minimum age for employment (apparently?).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Actually there is no general Minimum age for employment (apparently?).

Ian
    ...but there are some restrictions! http://dol.govt.nz/workplace/knowledgebase/item/1340

Thanks everyone for the encouraging advice and the links. Thanks for the reminder about the hills too Jan! Coming from a very flat area of Lancashire it is something we tend to forget to factor in!! A friend who moved within Lancashire, but to a very hilly region, got very funny looks when she asked if any of the kids cycled to school!?!

You can get a paper round at 11. But you can't work at somewhere like a supermarket til you're 15.

I think that website it saying the neighbour next door can hire you to mow your lawn at any age, but you can't work for an actual lawn mowing company until you're 15. (Just a random example.)

I got a job at a supermarket when I was 16 and consider myself very lucky as I know a lot of people who don't have jobs and clearly need one (only other option for them is going on the dole.)

Friends' jobs include Bunnings, play centre, doughnut shop, supermarkets, clothes shops in the mall, coaching a particular sport they are good at.

It helps being in a city like Auckland or Wellington though. When I was 13 I don't think anyone was bothered about having a job. That seemed to change as I got to 16+.

How old is your older son?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast