Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Waiver - the consequences

Default Medical Waiver - the consequences

Hey,

Unfortunately I have to go down the route of a medical waiver to help gain Skilled migrant Visa with my partner. She is already in NZ taking up a job offer on a temporary work visa.

I just wondering if anyone knew the consequences of not getting the waiver ...i.e. could I still get a temp visa to go over to my fiancee in NZ?

Thanks in advance.

Default Nzis a4 70

Have a look at the info on the NZIS site. Its not overly easy to read but does give info on when entry can be allowed if medical waiver is not granted. Others may have more info. Good luck tho

Hi Cregganrover,

Sorry to hear of your medical troubles with INZ , I hope it gets sorted out soon.

In case it doesn't and the Medical Waiver is refused, you may find the Residence Review Board website useful if you want to appeal the decision.

Hopefully it won't be necessary though, keeping fingers and toes crossed for you !

Best of luck !

Cheers,
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cregganrover View Post
    Hey,

Unfortunately I have to go down the route of a medical waiver to help gain Skilled migrant Visa with my partner. She is already in NZ taking up a job offer on a temporary work visa.

I just wondering if anyone knew the consequences of not getting the waiver ...i.e. could I still get a temp visa to go over to my fiancee in NZ?

Thanks in advance.
    That's a tricky one. I think it may also depend on how much they want whatever else you are bringing to the party in terms of likely earnings and consequent taxes etc

Their attitude might also differ if you were actually married etc as well.

Hey,

Just to update. We didn't get granted a waiver due to costs.

Very disappointing.

Appealing is an option through the residency Board, has anyone any experience of this?

Ideally, I would like to go a temp work visa to NZ and then start the appeal, has anyone managed this? I think you only have 41 days to appeal, so getting the temp visa and getting to NZ will be pushing it tight.

Any advice would be great.

hi there, I just found this while searching for info about medical waivers (thinking that I might need one too). I hope this turned out right for you in the end *hughug*

Quote Originally Posted by cregganrover View Post
    Hey,

Just to update. We didn't get granted a waiver due to costs.

Very disappointing.

Appealing is an option through the residency Board, has anyone any experience of this?

Ideally, I would like to go a temp work visa to NZ and then start the appeal, has anyone managed this? I think you only have 41 days to appeal, so getting the temp visa and getting to NZ will be pushing it tight.

Any advice would be great.
    I don't understand this part - what costs, and to whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_Tamson View Post
    I don't understand this part - what costs, and to whom?
    NZIS have to assess whether an applicant's will cost the country's health system more than NZ$25,000 over the first 4 years of their residency (if granted). If this is a definite, chances are the application will be declined.

Applicants who get told "no" by the MA can apply for a medical waiver from NZIS (free, I think..), and if that is declined too they can go to the Residence Review Board (another NZ$700 or so).

I have a feeling that I'll be applying for a medical waiver next month, so we'll see how it goes. If they decide that I'm likely to need more treatment (surgery and radiation are my doctors' weapons of choice) I will definitely cost more than $25k.. but I don't think I will, and hopefully they don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    NZIS have to assess whether an applicant's will cost the country's health system more than NZ$25,000 over the first 4 years of their residency (if granted). If this is a definite, chances are the application will be declined.

Applicants who get told "no" by the MA can apply for a medical waiver from NZIS (free, I think..), and if that is declined too they can go to the Residence Review Board (another NZ$700 or so).

I have a feeling that I'll be applying for a medical waiver next month, so we'll see how it goes. If they decide that I'm likely to need more treatment (surgery and radiation are my doctors' weapons of choice) I will definitely cost more than $25k.. but I don't think I will, and hopefully they don't either.
    Yeah but those are the reasons you get turned down on medical grounds, so surely if you apply for a medical waiver, you are effectively asking them to waive those costs?

They're asking for the rules to be waived.

And there are people whose treatment may go a little over the cost limit, and others where it will be way over the limit. They still have the right to refuse a waiver, if the benefits to NZ of admitting the person are not perceived as outweighing the monetary disadvantage. A waiver isn't automatically granted.

Sophie, I'm still crossing fingers that your process with the MA will yet turn out right and you won't need this route. +++++++++++++++

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast