Thread: Job hunting

Default Job hunting

Hi,

Any ideas of how can I make the hiring manager to pick my CV and look at it. A friend told me that I may do that by offering a one week voluntary work with the company at the same position I am applying for.

Any more ideas?

You need a GREAT cover letter to get them to look at your CV.
    I focus on the cover letter and use a generic CV. I have a photo on my CV and I also have NZ Permanent Resident on there as well.

Be sure to write a cover letter for EACH job you apply for. I always just outline why I fit their job description.

Be sure to open with something attention getting.

Say you understand that they get a LOT of CVs but then tell them how you are different. What makes you special, different, qualified?
    If you can figure out a way to make your immigrant status into an asset--do it!!

You have to REALLY sell yourself. This job market is competitive--stand out.

But I think offering to work for free will devalue you and seem desperate--which is a BAD idea IMO.

Good luck!!

GG, I think that is excellent advice.

Ali what is your line of expertise? I agree that offering to work for free in an office environment is likely to be detrimental to you, because companies here in NZ generally do not operate that way.

However, if you work outside of an office environment, that could be a good way of demonstrating your skills and experience.

To be perfectly honest with you Ali (and please don't take this personally, it's not personal), you will really have to be careful when writing your CV and covering letters. Make sure that both the covering letters and CV communicate exactly what you want to say effectively. As GG said, make the following points: 'What makes you special, different, qualified'.

I would strongly recommend you get your CV's and covering letters proof read by someone who speaks/writes fluent English.

Best of luck with it Ali. I'm sure you'll strike it lucky soon.

I stumbled across this article: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-arti...sume_read-1118

I hope it helps

When I was on maternity leave and looking to change industries (not really changing job roles, just wanted to get out of a rut) I volunteered for an organisation in a related sector. People there knew people being paid to do what I was doing for free. When the time came to apply for real jobs, it definitely helped.

..I plan to do the same again in NZ, if nothing pops up quickly