Thread: Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, or New Zealand Court Registrar

Default Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, or New Zealand Court Registrar

I am in need of a Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, or a New Zealand Court Registrar!!!

We really don't use any of these terms in the US, so I'm not sure where/how to go about finding one.

I thought I would start off my new life in New Zealand by having a statutory declaration witnessed. Is there anyone in/around the airport that can take care of this for me? Would a bank have someone on hand?

Thanks!!!

could you get the document witnessed by a Notary Public in the US before you leave?

once you're in NZ, you can easily find a Justice of the Peace by looking in the phone book, there are lots of them around. There's no fee. Solicitor means lawyer/attorney, again you could look in the phone book for the one closest to you. A Registrar is an official who works at a courthouse, could be an easy option if you happen to be near a court.

I wouldn't count on there being someone available at the airport or a bank, but you should be able to get it done pretty quickly once you're at your hotel or wherever you're staying.

just google for a JP, then call them, they will meet you and sign everything. might need identification (I was once asked). pretty smooth though.

Our local Citizens Advice Bureau has a JP on hand one evening a week, so check your local CAB.
    As Oregonkiwi said, it's easy enough to find them in the phone book/online, but we have always found it hard to find one who is either in when we ring, or who even responds to voicemessages left!
    Gil

Default JP

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    I am in need of a Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, or a New Zealand Court Registrar!!!

We really don't use any of these terms in the US, so I'm not sure where/how to go about finding one.

I thought I would start off my new life in New Zealand by having a statutory declaration witnessed. Is there anyone in/around the airport that can take care of this for me? Would a bank have someone on hand?

Thanks!!!
    Mike, see http://www.jpauckland.org.nz/howto.html

Then see http://yellow.co.nz/search/Auckland+...e+peace-1.html.

I selected central Auckland so you can go downtown (take the Airbus for $16 or a cab fr $50-60) get the papers witnessed and get a bite to eat.

A solicitor is a lawyer. You will probably sit next to one on the plane flying down.

Cheers
    Claude

Justice of the Peace is a free service and they do visit Citizens advice bureau, contact your nearest one and they will let you know what times they are available. Had to find one recently and had no idea how to go about it either! I had to wait ten mins or so in a queue, but that was OK.

Are you working? If so someone in your office may well be one, or have a relative that is, thats how hubby found one to witness his documents.

Or as above, pick one out of the yellow pages!

Edit...

Helps if I read properly, eh! I wouldnt think you would be able to get it done at the airport though?