Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is NZ a safe country ???

Default Is NZ a safe country ???

Hi,

I read the following in another forum written by a genuine KIWI:

Anyway! I grew up in Tauranga and studied in Auckland. Of course, as a typical NZ'er I went out heaps and partied up large...we all know what that means for a kiwi! It was NEVER safe for me to be out late at night by myself, in any city in NZ. I had many terrifying experiences which fortunately turned out ok in the end, but here are some details of assaults on people I personally know and NOT out of the paper:

My Dad was beaten up in broad daylight by a man in Tga who was assaulting his wife, cos my Dad intervened.
    My student flat in Mt Eden, Akl was burgled.
    A friend was sexually assaulted twice in her flat in Nth Akl by the same man....and she even flatted with a policeman!
    My sister-in-law's best-friend was raped in her house in Mt Eden by the "Mt Eden Jogger" while her husband popped down to the dairy.
    Last year my friend's ex-flatmate, was found raped and murdered in Grey Lynn.
    My sister's house was burgled in Whakatane while she was in hospital giving birth, last year.
    Her husband was recently jumped on from behind while surfing and held under water for ages, for apparent abuse of surfing "rules" (He KNOWS the "rules"!)

For me, this is the only negative thing that I can say about NZ...it is a very violent society and the violence usually occurs as a result of alcohol abuse when repressed anger comes to the surface. Of course, during the day I feel completely safe in NZ, but I'd be an idiot if I'd go out at night alone. God forbid you look at anyone for a fraction too long!
    What are your experiences ?
    Is NZ safe for women and children ?
    Is it worth to get a better life than in Europe ?

cheers

zensamurai

I always felt safe as a child - but so do all children.

I grew up in Upper Hutt and when I went into Wellington at night would walk back to the train station and then from the train to my house on my own. Always felt safe.

I am fortunate enough to not know anyone who was raped, or murdered (other than a victim of a muder suicide) and I think the most dangerous thing about NZ is probably the roads!

However - the place has changed a lot since then (10 years ago) and my Mum tells me that there are "home invasions" - which i think are becoming more popular in UK too - and kidnappings by Chinese of Chinese businessmens families.

I have a little theory about crime - it probably applies to both countries....

.... with less and less people carrying cash on them what is there to steal??? I never carry cash - just my cards. So how do the desperate get money - by breaking in to someones home and demanding it. A TV or Video is no good to anyone - so what is the point if no one is at home - what is their to steal anymore that you would get decent money for??? I think this is why ID fraud is going to be the biggest crime wave in years.

Well, Mr. Genuine Kiwi has a great deal more experience of the country than I do, but I've lived & worked (late at night) in some pretty hairy places in the North of England &, based on my own experiences, living in Wellington (the only place I know well here) is much safer.

We have this discusion on a regular basis on the forum & it basically boils down to " Yes, NZ is no mythical land of milk & honey where everyone lives side by side in peace and harmony...and bad happens EVERYWHERE in the world...but it is comparatively safe & it's citizens are usually honest, fair & law-abiding."

I've found that I've dropped my Danger Radar down a few notches since living here in Wellington. Back home I would be pretty much on Red Alert if I was walking home late at night - and with good reason.
    I've been out and about in town a lot since I arrived & I can't recall seeing one violent incident in a bar or out on the streets - & I think this is helped tremendously by the bars & pubs not having an 11 pm closing time.
    Back in the UK, at 11 everyone spills out into the streets ...often drunk, annoyed that they've been kicked out (usually by some gorilla in a suit), & all wanting the same buses & taxis. You can imagine the fun that ensues.

I suggest you do a search of this forum, using the search function in the menu at the top of the page, and search for "crime" "safety" etc - this should bring up some interesting info for you as it's been discussed quite a few times.

It's a lively topic :?

Hi Moorf,

itīs great that a moderator is responding and caring so much. I must confess that I used the search function after your comment, but there werenīt many themes to the keyword "rape".
    Thus I think safety should interest more people, but as I learned:
    The citizens of each country have a different focus on things. here are more the really practical matters. In the other forum, where I found the text above, they were much more focused to it.

Anyway, perhaps it is as I thought before. Here all are most people are interested in the more simple themes.

But why is there such a big difference ???
    I canīt understand. Even when people are from different countries, their interest in "living there" should have the same focus.

Cheers your disorientated

zensamurai

Don't want to cloud this thread with comparisons, but -- not least 'cos many US folks seem to be a bit self-conscious about their reputation at the moment -- I just want to chime in here with a thumbs-up for the US or, at least, the Seattle area as that's the one I know. Americans have been good to me and I want to speak up for 'em.

This is a safe place and Americans (I guess I am one now I'm a citizen) are generally superb community people.

I've been here nine years and have seen and experienced a lot of this. Just a few things off the top of my head:
    - all kinds of instances of thoughtfulness by local youngsters
    - virtually zero litter, graffiti and vandalism
    - girls, women and others jogging or walking by themselves quite happily and safely in parks and on trails
    - flyers posted on street-lamp poles by citizens with details of found (not just lost) pets
    - all manner of voluntary and fund-raising events
    - just general politeness and optimism
    - patience and helpfulness as bikes, wheelchairs and the like board buses... no, more than that, not patience, just plain enduring acceptance and kindness
    - cars slowing down to let pedestrians cross, even on near-deserted streets that the pedestrian would have no trouble negotiating if they had to wait two more seconds
    - the prevalent "OK, fine, how can we achieve that?" attitude if you mention any ambition or idea.
    - and on and on and on, all of it just because the people like to live in good conditions and, no, not in a spirit-sapping Stepford sense either. Just responsible citizenship.

We're going to NZ largely because of the opportunity we're moving to and not the place we're moving from. Certainly Seattle/America has aspects I'd like to change or see change, and we hope to find a few aspects of life in NZ that are more agreeable to us in those respects, but on the whole people here put their energy and behavior into letting each other do their own thing in a fair and pleasant setting.

I'm very, very fond of Seattle and the Northwest, and of Americans.

Hi,

- virtually zero litter, graffiti and vandalism
    I would be happy, if this is reality. When I have been there commencing the nineties, it was worse than that. All litter, mud and ...

When we travelled to Canada it was like enlightment. All clean, nice and friendly people. If US have changed as described I would be glad , but just canīt belive it.

cheers

zensamurai

good post MB. its important to look at stuff positively both home and here.

In the Northland, it has the best weather and so many beautiful beaches - it's like a heaven on earth. Yet, I don't feel safe in setting up our home there, reasons being that there are no jobs and most of the people live on benefits. It is great for holidays though............

Any way, I (as a woman) feel safe living here, as long as I don't venture into undesirable places at night.

In our community, a lot of families taking their evening walk in parks and coastal trail every day.

for the very little I have experienced so far and whether this is of any value, but there doesn't seem to be this alpha male swag over here, people dont seem to be intrested to be number 1, there not intrested in having th best cars etc. Without that sort of conflict of superiority in the air it feels more safer. Maybe there just not as pretencious and bitter as the UK lot are. Auckland definetly seems to have more issues, probably because it has the most people. Chc has seen a fair few shootings recently, though they are between gang lords. So good let them wipe each other out. Then there is the threat of terror, that just dosn't even get mentioned, the news is not filled with Iraq and the US which to be honest is nice, The pyschology of the media and fear tatics mean that you are more relaxed and just get on living your life. However if you want total safety I would suggest Monte Carlo, with more police officers than residents, where you can leave cash in your open top ferrari and it would go now where. Or Saudi where they chop off thieves hands or a remote scottish island. No where is totally safe, the criminal element lives in evrey street and town evreywhere in the world other than casinio square. In my opinion you couldn't go far wrong with this place and only once you leave the UK do realise how bad it really is.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast