Thread: Learner driver plates, question

Default Learner driver plates, question

I've been learning to drive and so we have learner plates on one car. We've been leaving them on even though OH takes that car to work. Today we went to the Wigram airshow (with OH driving, not me) and someone there (working in the parking lot) stopped us and read us the riot act for having them on. Is it really illegal to drive with learner plates on if the learner driver isn't driving? I see people alone in cars with learner plates on ALL THE TIME and my driving instructor has non-removable plates on the car as well and he obviously drives alone between appointments at the very least.
    I've had a look at the road code but can't find anything. You'd think it would be a bit more obvious.
    I can see it being something that if you are already getting a ticket they'd tack on something for having the learner plates on, but the guy was really adamant it was a serious offense and told us to remove them immediately.

Yep, looks like you are breaking the law...

From the Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999...

104 Prohibition on display of L plate except in appropriate
    circumstances
    A person must not drive, on a road, a motor vehicle that displays an L plate as specified in clause 66 unless that person—
    (a) Holds a learner licence of the class that relates to that vehicle in accordance with Schedule 3; or
    (b) Immediately prior to driving has been, or is about to be, accompanying the person in paragraph (a) in accordance with clause 16(1)(a); or
    (c) Holds a driving instructor or testing officer endorsement and is driving a vehicle used for purposes connected with that endorsement.
    Ian

you could possibly argue point B(above) in some circumstances, but really it only takes a second to take them off and you have to get out of the car anyway so i don't see the big deal, DP and i do it regularly and one of us will open the back door and take the plate off as we pass round the vehicle to swap seats

As Ian has indicated above the instructor is not breaking the law.

BkyMonster, did you not have an american driver license?

Why do you have to take lessons?

No I hate driving. I had learner permits in 3 states, never got my license. I had to take lessons as OH was tired of dealing with trying to teach me. Now I've had some lessons I'm not so bad and he'll let me drive him to the store. I'm probably about 2 weeks away from getting my restricted now. At least I hope so, because soon I won't fit behind the wheel. Even after I get some kind of solo license I still don't plan on driving unless I have to.

I was stopped before Christmas Auckland CBD by the police as I was showing the L plates. He asked about the plates, I told him that I keep them for my wife. He checked my license and ask me to remove the plates.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    I hope so, because soon I won't fit behind the wheel.
    One of my friends in the UK took her driving test at 8 1/2 months pregnant (in the days before mandatory seat-belts). She reckoned she had the shortest test on record, because the examiner couldn't wait to get her out of the car.