Thread: Finding a Rental

Default Finding a Rental

Does anyone have recommendations on finding a house to rent. I've been scouring Trademe and realestate.co.nz for weeks. Are there any better places to be looking (online or otherwise)? We'll be in Hawke's Bay, but I'm sure others will be interested in the rest of NZ.

Thanks!

Default Local REA

The local Real estate agencies generally have a list in their individual branches and the local paper is always a good one. We found our first on trade me and our current long term home thru the local free paper.

Hi there,

We looked through the paper. But we found both places we lived at by looking at Trademe. No issues whatsoever using Trademe. Everyone we contacted about places to live were easily reachable and if we left a message, they got back to us quickly.

Good luck with your search!

I know this doesn't help you much but ime the best rentals go by word of mouth.

If you are headed to Hawkes Bay, perhaps try and get some contacts to put out feelers for you.

We found contacting a few local agents helpful as we were having difficulty finding a suitable furnished short term rental.

In the end we ended up getting a house for 6 weeks at $400 a week when it was being advertised for holiday lets @ $135 a night.

I found the place we live in now in the trade and exchange - print version, although they do have ads online here. It's a good place to find private rentals.

Default Rentals

Hi
    Found our wonderful property through a website called virtual realty . Just pay a donation if you wish as it helps the site to keep going. It worked for us as our landlady contacted us from the Nz and after 3 days of looking at absolute dross we were delighted to see our new home!

Good luck

we found ours on trademe, but have also looked in the local free papers and put some feelers out on gumtree with a pretty good response.

The trouble with the local free paper is that we didn't get one until we were already in our rental - the day we moved in i sat on the floor of our unfurnished rental looking in the newspaper at the cheaper private rentals that we could have got and almost kicking myself!

I found mine on trademe, but looked at the papers and talked to the local real estate agents. A friend of mine always goes to the neighbourhoods she likes and just looks around for rental signs and then gets in touch that way if she likes the look of the place.

Some of the local papers are available on the internet, find out the name of your local one and do a google search (other search engines are available...) I'm in the same boat just now, but trying to do it from Scotland, fun, fun.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!